How do you get a Sunn 200s head open?

der oxenrig

• Members

I've been trying to take the chassis of this amp out, so I can hardwire a grounded plug into it, but I can't get the bloody chassis out! I've tried unscrewing everything, but to no success. Please tell me I don't have to unscrew the transformers as well, because that would be a real bitch.

How do I get this bloody thing open?!? :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

I've been trying to take the chassis of this amp out, so I can hardwire a grounded plug into it, but I can't get the bloody chassis out! I've tried unscrewing everything, but to no success. Please tell me I don't have to unscrew the transformers as well, because that would be a real bitch.

How do I get this bloody thing open?!?
:mad:

You shouldn't have to unscrew the transformers. You should be able to just separate the chassis from the cabinet. Look closer at the amp and make sure you're not overlooking any screws. Also check to see if you need to unscrew any control pots from the amp before you can get the chassis out. Sometimes jacks need to be unscrewed to get to the guts too. It'll come out eventually, just take your time and don't force anything.

Oh, and once you get it open, watch out for them filter caps. Nothing quite like the feeling of three or four hundred volts screaming through your body. :D

• Members

IIRC some enclosures were built around the chassis. You may have to pull the enclosure apart to get to the chassis to do what you want to do. While it's apart I'd go ahead and check/replace all the pots and caps, too.

• Members

Originally posted by bnyswonger

My guess is that over the years the chassis has dug itself into the wood some. Once you 've removed every possible screw that could be holding it in, try prying it loose with a flat blade screw driver.

Judging by the picture, that's my guess as well.

• Members

There's one screw that won't come out, and it's being a real pain in the ass. I think i'm gonna take it to this one local electronics shop, and see if they can get the bloody thing open.

Probably a good idea. If they charge too much to crack it open, you can always try drilling out that one pain in the ass screw.

• Members

Well, I dropped it off to a local A/V repair place, and they said they'll have no problem doing what I need done.

:thu:

Tube amps can be painful. I was messing around with my silverface Princeton Reverb a while back. It has been unplugged for a day, but the filter caps still had enough voltage to knock me on my posterior. Felt kinda cool, tho..:freak:

• 14 years later...

Archived