Is a Washburn Bass any good?

Reaper 66

• Members

I've been playing guitar a little while but I've decided to take up the Bass. I don't have a big budget, like $250, for the bass and an amp. I was considering these 2

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=515933

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=480382

Anybody have any experience with them, or better suggestions??

My music interest is mostly Hard Rock/Heavy Metal.

• Members

Originally posted by SteveyDevey

I've got a fretless XB200 that I've been pretty happy with. It's not the best best I've ever played, but it's certainly worth more than the $200 I paid for it. The pickups could be better, but the neck is great.

fretless2.jpg

Ooooo, purdee.

I love the looks of a nekkid fingerboard! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by bassman1956

Ooooo, purdee.

I love the looks of a nekkid fingerboard!
:thu:

Me too. That's one of the reasons I bought it. I would really love to make it a little beefier sounding though. I think it's the pickups, but that's far from my area of specialty. Sounds plausible?

• Members

Originally posted by SteveyDevey

Me too. That's one of the reasons I bought it. I would really love to make it a little beefier sounding though. I think it's the pickups, but that's far from my area of specialty. Sounds plausible?

Yeah, I'd say a PJ set of Nordstands with an Aguilar OB3 preamp.

It would sound awesome! And cost twice what the bass did, probably. But, if you love it and plan on keeping it, it would sound awesome! :D

• Members

Yeah, I'd say a PJ set of Nordstands with an Aguilar OB3 preamp.

It would sound awesome! And cost twice what the bass did, probably. But, if you love it and plan on keeping it, it would sound awesome!
:D

What would you suggest for something cheap? I'm thinking just about anything else would sound better, but I really don't know what I'm talking about. I don't play much bass anymore, and when I do my time gets split between my fretless and my 5 string. So, I can't really justify spending a ton of cash on something I only play with a few times a week, ya know? :(

• Members

Well, let's see... Barts, SD's, Dimarzios, Sadowskys. Maybe Aeros, RioGrandes. Could always just do the pups now, and the preamp later. You can also ebay pickups. Often they're brand new, even with warranty yet. Not a steal, but cheaper than a regular store.

The big question is, where is your tone and where would you like your tone to head?

• Members

Washburn has made some very nice basses Esp during the 80s with their abt series. Ibanez tried to copy them somewhat when they ntroduced their soundgears, but wasnt as good. That said today the best imo low budget basses are the Esp Ltd B series lower end. B154 in your range. Very nice exended pocket bolton neck (6bolt) with very nice maple neck with rosewood fretboard. Solid agathis body (dark like mahogany but better articulation then mahogany) with maple top. Very good soapbar pups by esp with 2 band acive eq. Actually like mine betterthen their higher priced neckthru B series due to better crunch with the b154 & somewhat tighter sound due to agathis rather then mahogany body. Very good hardware on it as well. So is very good bass out of the box with no need to replace anything really.

• Members

The XB100 was discontinued. They, like many entry level basses, aren't real good. I play a Washburn T24 taurus bass and it's fantastic. Low, low action, straight neck, sounds great and everywhere I take it people want to try it out.

• Members

I've got a Washburn XB120. Hot, HOT pickups. Perfect for black metal. Excellent build quality, pretty lookin' bass. Good neck, too... and the bridge is excellent as well.

Overall, a great bass for a low price. Washburn make some excellent instruments.

• Members

Well, let's see... Barts, SD's, Dimarzios, Sadowskys. Maybe Aeros, RioGrandes. Could always just do the pups now, and the preamp later. You can also ebay pickups. Often they're brand new, even with warranty yet. Not a steal, but cheaper than a regular store.

The big question is, where is your tone and where would you like your tone to head?

I wouldn't even know where to begin on describing my current or desired tone. :( It just seems like my active 5 string is MUCH louder and more defined than my passive fretless 4 string. I've never really known if it was because it was passive, if it was fretless, the dead ass strings, the possibly horrible pickups, etc.

The electronics have been a bit finicky though, just completely cutting out from time to time. I've opened up the control cavity and mucked around with it a few times when it's happened. Sometimes it comes back, and sometimes not.

I'm really just worried that I'd replace the pickups and it not sound any better. I'd hate to spend the money and time to not get the change I'm hoping for, ya know?

(It's got passive electronics, fyi)

• Members

i HAD the xb 100, when i say had its kinda weird, i still have it, although it no longer resembles the xb100. i'm pimping it out.

a few things about the xb 100.

the body is very comfortable, the pickup is weak. the neck is very comfortable, the bass also hangs very well. the frets are pretty soft and wear very easily. i played rock/metal and punk rock on mine. the neck is VERY unstable. mine was anyways warping and needed adjustments.

heres a few pic of what it looks like now. i havent got the time to finish it at the moment, but i got a new maple neck for it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/achtungjackass/Slappy/slappy.jpg

• Members

I have the XB-102, the 2-pickup version of the XB-100. The neck is very slim, like a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. I don't like it, but I love chunky necks. The pickups are weak and microphonic, and the hardware is decent.

If it wasn't a gift, i'd have gotten rid of it by now and gotten an SX P instead.

Archived