acceptable weight for Fender Bass

mondodave

• Members

Hey, guys -- you all are the experts, so I thought I'd pose a question. What is an acceptable weight for bass? Obviously, lighter is better. I'm using a P-bass that's 8 pounds, and it's balanced real well, and feels light. But I'm eyeing one that is 9 pounds, and am wondering if that is going to be too heavy...

thanks in advance for your responses...

dave

• Members

Originally posted by mondodave

But I'm eyeing one that is 9 pounds, and am wondering if that is going to be too heavy...

What sort of strap do you use?

I'm not sure how heavy my basses are, but I use neoprene straps and never have an issue with the weight of my basses...

• Members

I'm thinking more, of what weight is too heavy. Like those seventies Les Pauls, which were backbreakers.

I'm assuming 9 is on the heavy side for Fenders. How much does your Fender bass weigh, Fender players?

BTW, I've got a leather strap. That's probably adding some, but not much...

dave

• Members

Originally posted by mondodave

I'm assuming 9 is on the heavy side for Fenders. How much does your Fender bass weigh, Fender players?

BTW, I've got a leather strap. That's probably adding some, but not much...

I wouldn't consider 9 pounds too heavy personally.

I was thinking more about the comfort of the strap rather than the added weight. The neoprene straps are extremely comfortable.

Neotech Super Bass Strap

• Members

Nine pounds really isn't that much for a bass, all things considered. Peavey's made some 12 pounders before, and one time I encountered an ancient Carvin bass (probably 70's) that weighed probably 20lbs. No kidding. When I picked that thing up off the stand by the neck I was in shock at how heavy it was.

• Members

They definitely don't make P-Basses now like my 78 Precision. It is the heaviest instrument I have ever picked up and the neck is very thick. I've never found out for sure, but I think it has a maple body.

• Members

Originally posted by J.

Nine pounds really isn't that much for a bass, all things considered. Peavey's made some 12 pounders before, and one time I encountered an ancient Carvin bass (probably 70's) that weighed probably 20lbs. No kidding. When I picked that thing up off the stand by the neck I was in shock at how heavy it was.

Carvin often used hard rock maple for their bass bodies.:eek:

Archived