Rockstar Supernova

Rumble Bass

• Members

Originally posted by EricF

Look closer on the next episode - I've seen Sasha use a couple of MMs (his fav seems to be the blonde Stingray with a black pg), an Epi Jack Casady, a Michael Kelly acoustic, and (I think) an NS Design upright.

I've also seen him with a Les Paul bass and a SG bass of some sort, guess its part of the gibson deal this show has.

• Members

I didn't like the new song, but it was more Delinah (sp?) that threw it for me. There was potential that Magni or Lukas could have given it that she just doesn't have - it's called high notes. When you're going for a chorus or bridge, the idea is to make the vocals something that they weren't a second ago. Her vocal range is just about an octave, and she's supposed to be a singer. Screaming is not singing, and it won't last long, even in the studio. Come on, take a guy like Magni who can pump his pipes in full voice or fasetto side-by-side with the artists he's covering, then Delinah, who can't even get a high note in "Cat's in the Cradle." Shoot, Harry Chapin hit notes she couldn't think of, and he was a terrible singer - great songwriter/storyteller, terrible singer. She didn't even take the time to change the pronouns to 'she' and the nouns to "Mom" instead of "Dad".

Janis Joplin was great because she was a star who burst onto the scene with a sound and bravado never presented by a woman. She was going toe-to-toe with her contemporaries like Grace Slick and showing that a woman could drink, party, ride, and f-k with the guys as strong as any of the boys. To listen to more than a couple of radio hits of Janis is to listen to nails scrape along a chalkboard. She was a howling hag, but she did it first. Delinah doesn't bring anything new to the table, and she's hard to look at. (So was Janis, and I saw Janis live 2x.)

Lukas might be a strange dresser, but he delivers a song. Magni has a sound that is crushing. Of the two, Magni is the better singer, and if it was down to the studio only, Magni would have Lukas hands down. But in front of the people, I think either one of them has potential to really bring the band forward.

Gilby Clarke hasn't really been allowed to bring out what he can do. Put yourself where he was, your old friend Slash calls and says, "I need you to tour with us now. You have to learn all the songs, quit your band, give up on your dream, and follow us with our bitchy, non-compliant lead singer - Axle. What do you say, Gilb?" Dude, he toured the world with one of the most powerful bands of the period knowing full well that he was riding the train to the end of its track like a crash-test dummy. That took a lot of guts, whether you would have done the same or not.

Jason Newstead joined a band that treated him like a bitch from day one. He hung in there with those assholes the whole way while they took the easy road. They could have replaced him 100 times, but instead, they purposely mixed his stuff low and kept him on so they could stay stoned and drunk and sell millions of records. I think Jason has a lot of guts, and he's showing that he can write in this new band.

Tommy Lee may not be the greatest drummer that ever lived, but his on and off stage antics kept MC in the spotlight for more years than they deserved. Even when the guitar player became lame and singer got fat, he was able to create enough media coverage to keep people looking.

I think Supernova's going to do all right.

• Members

I think Patrice should have gone home last night instead of Zayira.
True, neither has any chance of taking the competitin, but at least Z makes for interesting television. Patrice is just boring on so many levels.

And I did find it interesting that both Patrice and Magni sang songs that Lucas has already done on the show. Lucas did them both better, afaic.

• Members

Originally posted by Rowka

I think Patrice should have gone home last night instead of Zayira.

True, neither has any chance of taking the competitin, but at least Z makes for interesting television. Patrice is just boring on so many levels.

And I did find it interesting that both Patrice and Magni sang songs that Lucas has already done on the show. Lucas did them both better, afaic.

I think they both should have been axed.

• Members
Originally posted by johnnybassman

I think they both should have been axed.

Well, they can't axe two people every week...;)

Yeah, I think Magni and Lukas are two of the best overall singer/performers on the show. Dilana is good, but, as somebody already mentioned, her voice is limited.

The thing I felt was lacking most in Magni's performance of "Creep" was passion. He just seemed a little lifeless. I know he could have sung it better than that...

Lukas' voice is getting better as he "opens up his throat" as Jason has suggested several times.

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

Lukas' voice is getting better as he "opens up his throat" as Jason has suggested several times.

Lukas gives the impression he may be hard to work with and if the sore spot between the band members is on how he sings... that's just asking for trouble right off. He did however blow the doors off of Magni doing his "Creep". I think Ryan might still be the sleeper here. Time will tell and I need to see him sing with the three guys.

• Members

Originally posted by Treborklow

I think Ryan might still be the sleeper here. Time will tell and I need to see him sing with the three guys.

All but one of Ryan's performances have been less than stellar if you ask me.

However, it will be interesting to see how they all do with original songs.

• Members

Originally posted by Rumble Bass

And why is Dave Navarro top dog? He always coments first and the guys in the band are too scared to disagree? Has anyone noticed that they never have differing opinions on the perfomances?

I think its a conspiracy.

Dave is the Producer of the show, or some executive position.

Maybe executive producer....Hmm.

I say Dilana has it. She is the best performer IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by Lizzard Tom

Is Newstead a good bassplayer? I knew him in Junior High school. Nice guy. He did not play bass when I knew him. I am not a Metallica fan, nor do I know any of their music. Just curious as to what others think of his playing.

i have been waiting a long time actually hear some notes from that guy. last night on their song i heard some

i was not impressed

tommy should just get back together with motley crew and the other 2 clowns can go back to whatever it is they do

but i do enjoy that house band..........

• Members

Originally posted by fieldja

He is pretty good, but nowhere near as good as Mettalica's origional bassist, Cliff Burton.

+100000000

Cliff is amazing, too bad most of his playing is burried in the mix under all the guitar. Although if you watch a video of him preforming live, espcially one of his solos, then you can hear his greatness.

• Members

there isn't enough variation in dilana's voice to make me want to listen to 12 songs straight.

lukas and magni on the other hand can bring the growl or the falsetto when they want. that makes an intersting singer. magni's more professional but lukas has more energy. ryan looks too constipated on stage but he's has some great performances soundwise.

• Members
Originally posted by bassfuzz

+100000000

Cliff is amazing, too bad
most
of his playing is burried in the mix under all the guitar. Although if you watch a video of him preforming live, espcially one of his solos, then you can hear his greatness.

"We just heard this crazy, weird, highly-distorted, fuzz wah sound and we couldn't believe that was bass." James Hetfield commenting on the first time he heard Cliff Burton.

Yep, that's the way I wanna go.

Cliff=3rd guitarist. :p

Archived