Rockstar Supernova

Rumble Bass

• Members

Originally posted by Rumble Bass

So I watched it last night and came to the conclusion that the house band is more talented than Supernova, the band everyone is competing to front. Does anyone else find this ironic?

Whoever comes in 2nd should join the house band and run.

And last week with Gilby singing with Delana... what the heck was that all about? Was he bad or what? Definitely the House band rocks big time.

• Members

I admit Tommy Lee is a good drummer, and Newstead is decent, but I question Gilby as a lead guitarist (especially with only one guitar). Seems like its all for show and maybe there really won't be a band after its over. Would you pay to see Supernova? They talk about this world tour they have scheduled already, but they don't have an album or any songs? I don't get it.

• Members

I admit Tommy Lee is a good drummer, and Newstead is decent, but I question Gilby as a lead guitarist (especially with only one guitar).

Is Newstead a good bassplayer? I knew him in Junior High school. Nice guy. He did not play bass when I knew him. I am not a Metallica fan, nor do I know any of their music. Just curious as to what others think of his playing.

• Members

Originally posted by Lizzard Tom

Is Newstead a good bassplayer? I knew him in Junior High school. Nice guy. He did not play bass when I knew him. I am not a Metallica fan, nor do I know any of their music. Just curious as to what others think of his playing.

He is pretty good, but nowhere near as good as Mettalica's origional bassist, Cliff Burton.

• Members

So I watched it last night and came to the conclusion that the house band is more talented than Supernova, the band everyone is competing to front. Does anyone else find this ironic?

Whoever comes in 2nd should join the house band and run.

Those guys have to be really good. I mean, they are prety much a top-notch "casuals" band. There was an article in a recent Bass Player with Sasha, he claims they have 150 songs that they need to learn, and the singers sometimes change the key on them at the last minute. You have to have your {censored} together for that kind of gig.

Tommy, Jason, and Gilby are veteran players, but that's not their type of gig.

• Members

As with the INXS season, I think the House Band is amazing. They not only nail songs we all know in their original form, but also rearrangements of those songs, as well as originals by the contestants. Every one of the musicians in the House Band is a top-notch pro.

As for Supernova, I love the way Tommy plays drums (although I think he's kind of an ass). I think Jason is a solid bass player, but not great (Sasha is probably a lot better). Gilby, however, is yet to be seen wheter he's worth a damn. So far I'm not impressed.

Unless someone blows it, it should come down to Dilana and Magni.

• Members

What;s funny is that GIlby is the one that leaves most people scratching their heads...'who did he play with?' "you mean GUns and Roses had a second guitar player?"

I'd like to hear newstead playing his own bass lines, finally....

• Members

Personally, I think the whole show is a joke.

Looks to me like just a lame attempt at people who's careers are falling through to try and claw their way back up into existance.

Without metallica, jason is nobody. You can't bounce back after metallica... I mean... when you're at the top, there's only one way to go and that's down.

same for Tommy Lee. After the Pamela Anderson debacle and that lame attempt at a reality show in college (please... there are some people who would KILL to be able to go to college and here tommy is making a fool of himself and goofing off ) So yeah his career was in nowheresville. He's a decent drummer though but the crue was his life force.

And Gilby Clark? He was always in Slash's shadow. I'm surprised that CBS even had the balls to put him on the show. I'm sure 90% of the people watching are like "who's that other guy?"

As far as the hosts go, Dave still has a smidgen of popularity left over from his now extinct marrige to Carmen.

And Brooke Burke? Where in the heck did she come from? After E!'s Wild on got canned she dissappeared off the map and then did what any popular female starved for attention would do... get naked in playboy. It worked for a month until the next issue and then she fell off the face of the earth and is now back, again with people who have no desire in playboy or stupid shows with people partying on beaches that they'll never get to go to asking themselves "who is this woman on stage?"

I think that show "America's Got talent" got it sort of right. They put Regis and Hasselhoff on the show which is a recipe for an instant hit because EVERYONE on the planet knows who they are. Where the crap Brandy came from? And who in the world is that generic british Simon Cowell wannabe next to her? We'll never know. They should have put C3PO or Dennis Leary or George Carlin or George Jefferson on the show. Instant classic.

I could care less who wins but I will say that I do agree that the house band is crazy good. Same as the American Idol band. Not once did they get any credit for the work they did and they kicked butt week after week playing every type of song imaginable, WELL.

• Members

Kind of a funny (or not) side note...

A hot, young production assistant on Rock Star came to audition as a singer for our band. She was a ball of blonde (and red and blue) energy, but kinda flaky and didn't sing partularly well for the indie stuff we play. She was nice too look at, though.

• Members

Originally posted by Treborklow

It appears that because of Gibson's involvement with the show the guitar players have to use Gibson guitars. Anyone know what these guys use outside of then TV show? What's the bass player using... G&L? Obviously they don't show his bass much.

I've always seen the bassplayer with a Stingray. I've seen one guitarist with a Tele a couple times, but they seem to prefer hubucker-equipped guitars.

I enjoy the show. It's entertaining to see what different people do with songs you know in front of the same band. However, I've been known to have bad taste in TV and music...

• Members

Originally posted by Treborklow

It appears that because of Gibson's involvement with the show the guitar players have to use Gibson guitars. Anyone know what these guys use outside of then TV show? What's the bass player using... G&L? Obviously they don't show his bass much.

Look closer on the next episode - I've seen Sasha use a couple of MMs (his fav seems to be the blonde Stingray with a black pg), an Epi Jack Casady, a Michael Kelly acoustic, and (I think) an NS Design upright.

Archived