BILLIE JEAN COVER!

jmorgan_2008

• Members

Hey guys. Before anything else, I just want you all to know that I'm in the learning process. I have so much practice to do before I get where I want to be. I recently covered Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean"

I need to know the goods, the bads, and anything else from your perspective.

Any type of advice is good advice to me. Feel free to slaughter the whole song as long as it's criticism that's going to benefit me. lol.

Thanks guys!!!

http://www.myspace.com/jordanmorgan67912

It should be the second song on the list.

• Members

I can't listen at work, but I'm going to share my experience with you.

About 3 weeks before MJ died, I made a hybrid of Chris Cornell's cover and the original. The first time I played it, people LOVED the original twist to this classic song.

But then MJ died. All you could hear was MJ songs on the radio.

I played it the week after and still got a great response.

But then, the week following that, I realized I had to stop playing it. Original twist on the classic or not, people are tired of hearing about MJ and they also got reminded of some of the things he got in trouble for.

Best of luck to you and to doing this song, but my experience has made me just plain stop playing it.

• Members

Good vocals ,,, Its a much different spin on that song than I expected. OT Somerset KY. Yes indeed I have been there. Flew a charter in there back in the the late 80s. The little airport was fogged in hard. I had a ton of fuel so I kept making low passes just above the ground fog bank.. hoping to whip things up enough to speed up the fog burning off process. Besides I was bored. After about three really low passes... the fog burned off .. and holy crap there was this barn and hill. The airport was near a river as i recall. I had never been in there before. Spent like 6 hours sitting in a metal folding chair at this FBO that was about the size of a tool shed. Dem were the days lol.

• Members

Hey guys. Before anything else, I just want you all to know that I'm in the learning process. I have so much practice to do before I get where I want to be. I recently covered Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean"

I need to know the goods, the bads, and anything else from your perspective.

Any type of advice is good advice to me. Feel free to slaughter the whole song as long as it's criticism that's going to benefit me. lol.

Thanks guys!!!

It should be the second song on the list.

Really great singing...you wanted some feedback and I marked the times I thought you were off...see if you notice them too...these are approx times...

1:27...pitchy

1:54...pitchy

2:23...off a little

3:10...same

4:15...screechy

Now, you did awsome. I know you want it to be the very best it can and your real close with this. You've got talent for sure. Nice work!

• Members

Really great singing...you wanted some feedback and I marked the times I thought you were off...see if you notice them too...these are approx times...

1:27...pitchy

1:54...pitchy

2:23...off a little

3:10...same

4:15...screechy

Now, you did awsome. I know you want it to be the very best it can and your real close with this. You've got talent for sure. Nice work!

This is what I'm talking about. I need this kind of help. I could pick at it all day, trying to make it better, and would probably make it worse. I want your guys' opinions. Thanks man. This helps tremendously. I will definitely write this down and make note to check these times out. I'm trying to get really serious about my music. I've been taking lessons for a while now, and am currently looking for a nice band to back me up. Thanks again man!

• Members

Your performance vocally is flawless in the first minute. And mostly during the 2nd verse.

At the bridge and especially the chorus you become quite pitchy. Keep it open. Keep the larynx low. Don't swallow the note.

3:06 - head voice, not 100%, but {censored}ing good job!

There's a discussion on "Compression" in these forums from recently. Experiment with this during the verses in your lower register.

Guitar work is fine.

From a recording perspective, too much reverb back it off. And for an intimate recording like this, I reckon the double tracking sounds creepy. If you can't nail it in one single take, make it sound like you did ;)

Your metal track is pretty decent dude. You've got a good scream on you.

Just stay focused on your pitch man, up higher that's your weakness.

Oh, and dude, you're not covering Michael Jackson's - Billie Jean. You're covering Chris Cornell's version. I'd compliment your interpretation if it wasn't almost exactly the same.

How old are you man? You look young... Wish I was delivering this kind of quality when I was younger.

• Members

Hey man, thanks!!! I knew there was something weird about the bridge and second chorus, just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. lol.

I actually didn't warm up properly before this session, so I know it effected my high notes. I'm gonna try to work it out this weekend, and repost it. I'll take some of the reverb out as well.

I'm trying my best to be completely original and not to sound like any of the actual artists that do this song.

On the age deal, I'm 19 years old. This is my dream, and always has been. I'm gonna keep at it as hard as I can, and hope for the best. You guys are helping me out more than you realize. I really appreciate it!!!

• Members

yea, i done one too and put it on the tube. i was way too hung over to be recording a video, but i done it anyway. lol. needless to say, the hang over showed through. it's kinda hidious. i'm gonna redo it soon. i liked your version though..it's kinda popish. very original!

Archived