Sign in to follow this  
Fireball_73

Ebanol fingerboard explanation...

That would be ebonol. It's a synthetic polymer.

It's inexpensive, easy to work, deep black like ebony, glues well to wood and doesn't take much stringwear.

It also sounds a lot like ebony with atons of mwah.

Pretty much an ideal material.

My understaning is that it is a synthetic "wood" very similar in qualities to Ebony. Ebony is a very hard, dense wood and as such is used well as a fingerboard for fretless since it won't damage easily especially if using roundwounds. I've always liked Ebony fingerboards.

Originally posted by pbass_groovin

why don't more manufactures use ebony or ebanol for their boards?

Ebony is more expensive and harder to work than rosewood.

I assume ebanol is cheaper, but I'm guessing there's some buyer prejudice against plastic.

I prefer the Northern Territory Red Ebony fingerboard on my fretless. To my knowledge the first to have this type of wood on a bass fingerboard in the world :)

FrtlsFrntFull.jpg

ebonol is cellulose and black phenolic resins layered - much like the above. There are a lot of names given to this stuff. The material I use is referred to as Garolyte.

It works much like ebony, polishes to a pretty high gloss with no finish applied, sounds like ebony, and wears like no other substance I have seen.

It is the same stuff the casters on your speaker cabs is made from.

It is eco-friendly, renewable, and domestically produced.

I love it.

I much prefer "Acrylized" wood for fingerboards (fretless or fretted). Larry of Gallery Hardwoods have become friends since he contacted me for my opinion of the Birdseye about 6 months after I received the fretless 6. He has a sponsored section over at bassnutz and use to have on on Talkbass... here is a thread of info on the processes he does in his shop in Oregon.

http://bassnutz.com/showthread.php?t=2017

Acrylized Birdseye Maple

birdseye.jpg

Acrylized Wenge with Acrylized Silver Vine inlays

(and Acrylized Maple top, back and neck... dyed during the process)

GAL-04.jpg

This stuff holds up to wear like a synthetic yet still sounds like the wood that was treated. Plus it opens the door for using almost ANY wood you want because it all has the same hardness after treatment :thu:

Originally posted by georgestrings

I'd LOVE to have the rosewood board on my MIJ Jazz Special fretless replaced with ebonal, but would imagine that it'd be costly...

- georgestrings

I've seen the Mighty Mite fretless P bass neck with ebonol board for $100 on the bay....If you like the p neck you could go that route...

I've never pursued it to see if those vendors sell a j neck but one would think they would....

I'm another one who really digs ebonol/phenolite/garolyte/synthetic fingerboards. I have a guitar that's entirely made of 'Vibracell' (a plastic composite material) with an ebonol fretboard. There's not a spec of wood on it.

Originally posted by Benjamin

OMFG! FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP!

Don't you DARE splooge on my bass! :mad::mad:

(And yes, it actually is mine, hanging on the wall in the next room right now.) :cool:

Originally posted by JanVanHove

Hey, hands off, It my fapping bass!

:mad:

FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP!

That goes for you, too, mister! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by bholder

Don't you
DARE
splooge on my bass!

(And yes, it actually is mine, hanging on the wall in the next room right now.)
:cool:

Hanging?? HANGING??? you're not playing that thing 24/7?

You're definitely not giving that beast the love it deserves, I'm coming over right now to take it into custody...

Seriously, man, you know how I feel about that bass, you are a lucky, lucky person!

Originally posted by chris-dax

I've seen the Mighty Mite fretless
P bass neck with ebonol
board for $100 on the bay....If you like the p neck you could go that route...

I've never pursued it to see if those vendors sell a j neck but one would think they would....

I haven't looked for a Jazz type neck, either - but dig the headstock on the aforementioned Jazz Special - it's black, but still Fender.... with an all black, unlined board, this bass would look awesome - and play&sound that way with an ebonal board... If I could get a quality job of it done at the $100 you're quoting for that MM neck, it'd be worth it for me to put some money into this bass...

- georgestrings

I think I'm definitely becoming a fan of ebonol..... I recently picked up one of the Squier Vintage Modified Fretless basses, and so far I just love the feel of playing it. It's also my first fretless, so I'm not sure how much is because of it being fretless and how much is the ebonol, but either way it seems like a great material.

I'm considering a relatively expensive (for me anyway!) fretless which has an ebanol neck. I great prefer to have a bright fretless tone. I know wear is described as minimal, but am I still going to get noticable grooves if I play regularly with rounds? If so can anyone recommend an alternative like halfrounds which are nice and bright without the damage. I'm using halfrounds on my Warwick fretless (budget) and they sound quite nice, but the bass in general is a bit muddy so it's hard to know exactly how good these strings are.

Ta.

It's ebonol dammit !

It will get a bit of wear with time. Which is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. Keep your rounds.

I'd LOVE to have the rosewood board on my MIJ Jazz Special fretless replaced with ebonal, but would imagine that it'd be costly...

- georgestrings

Warmoth has real ebony fingerboard necks for $183.

It's eb
o
nol dammit !

It will get a bit of wear with time. Which is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. Keep your rounds.

Well, it's really ebonal as far as I can tell.

Ebonal is probably my favorite fingerboard material for fretless. I think one reason the Squier VM fretless stacks up so well against other fretlesses is because of the ebonal. I haven't played quite enough ebony boards to really know if I prefer them or not.

Ebony is more expensive and harder to work than rosewood.

I assume ebanol is cheaper, but I'm guessing there's some buyer prejudice against plastic.

It's because Capitalism thrives on cutting down trees.

info about ebanol

they started doing clarinets in this type of polymer with success due to the cost and availablity of grenadilla ebony

for the bass i would guess its a aquisition and machineability plus exercise

the polymers dont shrink or crack and dont need maintenance

bassoons are made now of polymers