Their, There, They're

NSPBass

• Members

Contrary to typical use, these two words and one conjuction are NOT interchangeable. I know they might sound the same, but they're NOT THE SAME!!!
:mad:

Wow...something just came over me...

nspbass

"They're" is a contraction, not a conjunction...:p

Conjunctions are connecting words, "and", "but", etc...Don't you remember your Schoolhouse Rock? (or the film Reality Bites)...:D

• Members

Its and it's are the ones that get me. Look - it's really easy. If you're saying it is, then it's it's. If it's any other use, it's its. The end.

For example: "I bought my first bass - an ESP 400 - in 1985. That makes this year it's 22nd birthday." The use of it's in this sentence is WRONG.

It should be: "I bought my first bass - an ESP 400 - in 1985. That makes this year its 22nd birthday."

• Members

Reading my post made me mad. I {censored}ing hate it when people misuse your and you're.

Seriously, of all the things people on the internet do, that's the worst. When someone does that I lose it. I started yelling at my boss today because of this.

I think I'm going insane.... too many terrible essays to edit.... *curls up in corner*

• Members

This is how I see it: If you can't write coherently then you should know that it reflects poorly on you. That doesn't mean it's fair to judge someone based on their ability to spell correctly or to use correct grammar. The person could be a dyslexic and unable to help it. However, if that was the case I'd suggest that the dyslexic in question came right out and said it. Then he'd probably be granted some leniency. He would from me anyway.

All this being said I suspect that most people that can't spell or use correct grammar are just lazy and/or stupid.

• Members

This is how I see it: If you can't write coherently then you should know that it reflects poorly on you. That doesn't mean it's fair to judge someone based on their ability to spell correctly or to use correct grammar. The person could be a dyslexic and unable to help it. However, if that was the case I'd suggest that the dyslexic in question came right out and said it. Then he'd probably be granted some leniency. He would from me anyway.

All this being said I suspect that most people that can't spell or use correct grammar are just lazy and/or stupid.

Plus, Firefox has a built in spellcheck now...You've got to be extra lazy to leave a word like "thier" in a post (not only the wrong variant, but misspelled to boot :D)

• Members

There: There are two naked lesbos in my driveway.

Their: Their asses are going to hurt in the morning.

They're: Wow, they're still going at it.

Then: So these two lesbos were in my diveway...then they took off their clothes, then....

Than: She's got much bigger tacks than the one on the bottom.

Yo.

• Moderators
Ohhhh....if you want it to be possessive it's just 'Y-O-U-R'

But if it's supposed to be a contraction then it's 'Y-O-U-apostrophe-R-E...scallywag!'

'Y-O-U-R...

Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E...

They're as different as night and day.

Don't you think that night and day are different?

What's wrong with you?'

Yore rite.

Archived