What's a reasonable price on a 1976 Ric 4001?

bbl

• Members

Hey, thanks fellas. I think I have a good idea now, but...

Do they make them lefty now? And why are the "vintage" going up? Is it just speculation? Is it like Fender? But aren't the QC issues with Rics non-existent?

I like old wood, especially thru my SVT II. :thu:

Edit: Yes, it's a lefty. And mapleglo.

• Members

It's probably just demand. Ric never had massive production numbers. Ric has realatively few QC issues, but they're not nonexistant.

As for vintage Rics - if you ever play a 60's Ric bass, you'll crave one for the rest of your life. 70's Rics, well... I know a lot of guys that like them, but I'm not one of them.

Ric makes lefties. Always has, still does.

• Members

It's probably just demand. Ric never had massive production numbers. Ric has realatively few QC issues, but they're not nonexistant.

As for vintage Rics - if you ever play a 60's Ric bass, you'll crave one for the rest of your life. 70's Rics, well... I know a lot of guys that like them, but I'm not one of them.

Ric makes lefties. Always has, still does.

just curious, what is it about '60s rics you like that '70s rics don't have?

• Moderators

You're better off paying $1100 for a new one than $1000 for a '76 model, and they typically sell for even more than that.

Where are you going to get a new one for $1100?

Zzounds sells them for $1299, Musician's Friend for $1399.

• Members

just curious, what is it about '60s rics you like that '70s rics don't have?

The 60's Rics have a single pc maple neck and in the 70's they switched to a skunk stripe neck. I don't know if that's the reason, or something else, but the 60's Rics just have a more *open* sound and the 70's 4001's have a more thunk woody sound. It's really subjective. Maybe it's the combination of age and single piece neck or something else. I don't know.

• CMS Author

The 60's Rics have a single pc maple neck and in the 70's they switched to a skunk stripe neck. I don't know if that's the reason, or something else, but the 60's Rics just have a more *open* sound and the 70's 4001's have a more thunk woody sound. It's really subjective. Maybe it's the combination of age and single piece neck or something else. I don't know.

I guess it was something else. Maybe aging pickup magnets. AFAIK the skunk stripe went on translucent and transparent finishes, but apparently not on solids. My '76 4001 in jetglo had the one-piece neck.

I always liked the skunk stripe mapleglo, and was disappointed back then that I couldn't get one.

• Members

I guess it was something else. Maybe aging pickup magnets. AFAIK the skunk stripe went on translucent and transparent finishes, but apparently not on solids. My '76 4001 in jetglo had the one-piece neck.

I always liked the skunk stripe mapleglo, and was disappointed back then that I couldn't get one.

I guess if I could figure out what it is, I could make basses and get rich.

• CMS Author

I bought a Ric 4001 back in 76for 400 bucks bran new because that is what Geddy Lee played at the time. I sold it 2 years ago for 1400 bucks but it was kept in a hard case and looked bran new

And I bought my '76 new in '77, also for $400. My story didn't end so well...before xmas around '81 my wallet with paycheck and bonus was stolen, and I sold the Ric to a Sam Ash (Paramus, NJ) for $200, so I could buy at least some xmas gifts. It too was in perfect condition. Jetglo.

• Members

And I bought my '76 new in '77, also for $400. My story didn't end so well...before xmas around '81 my wallet with paycheck and bonus was stolen, and I sold the Ric to a Sam Ash (Paramus, NJ) for $200, so I could buy at least some xmas gifts. It too was in perfect condition. Jetglo.

Aw man that stinks:(

If you knew back then what you know now would you have told ol smilin Sam to keep his money?

Archived