Bass pedal board "must haves"

bholder

• Members

I think I'm actually going to finally put together a pedal board and bring it with me to jams and such. I've got all kinds of toys to try in it, but wanted to open it up for suggestions, so nominate your choices for pedalboard "must haves".

Out of what I have, here's what I'm probably starting with:

What other categories or specific pedals would you consider "musts"?

• Members

Check out the EH Deluxe Memory Man. You can fiddle with the chorus/vibrato and delay settings to get a nice chorus effect, plus you'll have echo, too.

You know, I think I already have one of those, in a box downstairs somewhere!

• Members

What kind of fuzz tone interests you? There are quite a few "flavors" (for lack of a better term) of fuzz tones on the market so you have a bit to choose from. I am big fan of the Prescription Electronics Depth Charge which has a blend that I find very useful for getting just enough of the bass signal through the thick wall of fuzz. However it sounds different from a EHX Muff or Sovtek Fuzz (old school Russian big muff in military green fatigues!) or the MI Audio Neo Fuzz or even MI Audio's other fuzz, the GI Fuzz. Lot's to pick and choose from.

• Members

My comments in caps.

I like a bit of reverb on bass sometimes, I don't think it makes it muddy at all. Yeah, if every other effect in the chain was on and the whole mess was soaked in reverb, sure, but that's not how I'd use it.

And yeah, the pigtronix is on my list, I've been discussing some addtional custom mods I'd like with the guys there. (I want a sine wave LFO and an option to have the envelope affect the rate rather than just the depth.)

• Moderators

how about this:

bass > cable > amp > speaker

:rolleyes:;):p

That's what I use.

I have a compressor, a distortion box, and a bass chorus. I've tried them all. They sound neat at home, but, with the full band, I hardly hear any difference. Might be useful recording, or in styles that my band doesn't play, I dunno, but I keep going back to bass, cord, amp, speaker.

• Members

I use very few pedals but I really like my EB volume.

Yo.

Yeah, I'd like a good volume pedal. I have one, a DeArmond, I believe, but it just sucks - the pivot point is all wrong, as is the taper, way too much foot movement required and not enough control / sensitivity in the important part of the range. I'll have to try the EB. I've long suspected I may have to build my own to get one that feels the way I want it to - most of the commercial ones I've tried (volume or wah) don't feel right.

Oh, and I've got a BassBalls to throw in, and some sort of regular envelope filter too.

• Members

Oh, yeah, I forgot to add this---what about noise suppression? I've got a Boss NS2 that works well enough, but I just ordered an EH Hum Debugger from MF.

I've got a noise gate somewhere. Kind of hoping it's not needed. The guitarist I jam with uses lots of distortion, and has one in his chain, and more often than not, it screws him up.

• Members
I think I'm actually going to finally put together a pedal board and bring it with me to jams and such. I've got all kinds of toys to try in it, but wanted to open it up for suggestions, so nominate your choices for pedalboard "must haves".

Out of what I have, here's what I'm probably starting with:

How about a delay, then you can play "Fascination Street" properly.:thu:

:D

• 1 year later...

Archived