SWR triad cab?

Kelemvor

• Members

Anyone familiar with one? Someone on craigslist is selling his fullstack of a Triad, Goliath II, and SM-400 head for $1100 I'm trying to see if he'll split it up.

Right now I have a Goliath and Goliath Jr and I'm itching to get a 15'' in the mix.

• Members

$400 sounds pretty good... i palyed a show once through a full SWR stack... 500 watt head, a TRIAD, and i think a single 18"... sounded pretty damn sick, it was a huge wall of sound, didnt even need the house PA to hear the bass.

• Members

$400 sounds pretty good... i palyed a show once through a full SWR stack... 500 watt head, a TRIAD, and i think a single 18"... sounded pretty damn sick, it was a huge wall of sound, didnt even need the house PA to hear the bass.

Yeah I believe the single 18" is the Big Ben cab. I'm getting excited thinking about a Triad, a Goliath 4x10, and 750 watts. If you notice my sig you'll see that I'm starting to become quite the SWR gear whore. I offered to trade him my V-4 straight up, since I discovered tubes just aren't for me, but he declined. I guess I'm not losing any money as an investment with 400. Maybe I'll take him up on that offer.

• Members

I had a triad for a while and was not terribly impressed. I wouldn't consider getting one without getting two of them.

Also, be wary that the 10" speaker is prone to busting on these things in certain situations (not sure what those are exactly). I would guess this occurs when you play a lot of meedlies with a super powerful amp. Also, possibly slap style could contribute.

The problem here is that those 10" speakers cost 100+ dollars to replace. Your best bet for cheap replacements are a Carvin PS10 (cheap), a Chinese copy of a Carvin (MCM audio select - cheaper). Also, Genz Benz sells their 10" speakers for 65 bucks, which is another good deal.

Bottom line: The Triad will sound its best with another Triad, and due to being 4 ohms requires either a 2 ohm capable amp or a two channel rig like an SVT 400T or a Peavey Megabass or an SVT-4 or similar. Or you can run it by itself, but...

One triad is roughly as tough as a weaker 4x10 rig, so chances are good it might not put enough air out for you. Also, I tried running a triad combined with a 4x10 and did not care for the combination of sound.

Anywho, good luck!

• Members

I had a triad for a while and was not terribly impressed. I wouldn't consider getting one without getting two of them.

Also, be wary that the 10" speaker is prone to busting on these things in certain situations (not sure what those are exactly). I would guess this occurs when you play a lot of meedlies with a super powerful amp. Also, possibly slap style could contribute.

The problem here is that those 10" speakers cost 100+ dollars to replace. Your best bet for cheap replacements are a Carvin PS10 (cheap), a Chinese copy of a Carvin (MCM audio select - cheaper). Also, Genz Benz sells their 10" speakers for 65 bucks, which is another good deal.

Bottom line: The Triad will sound its best with another Triad, and due to being 4 ohms requires either a 2 ohm capable amp or a two channel rig like an SVT 400T or a Peavey Megabass or an SVT-4 or similar. Or you can run it by itself, but...

One triad is roughly as tough as a weaker 4x10 rig, so chances are good it might not put enough air out for you. Also, I tried running a triad combined with a 4x10 and did not care for the combination of sound.

Anywho, good luck!

I was going to use it with either a 4x10 or 2x10. Maybe I would be better finding a good deal on a SOB 1x15 If I want to experience that 15'' addition to my sound.

Archived