Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass vs. Fender Standard Jazz Bass

Noise...

• Members

I've kind of narrowed down my choices to these two basses, but now I am kind of stuck because I don't know what the main differences in sound will be.

Are the active electronics and noisless pups in the Deluxe Active Jazz bass worth the extra $140 in price over the Standard Jazz Bass?

Is there a huge difference in quality between the two?

• Members

^I'd be buying new either way, so used deals are out.

Would the Deluxe Active Jazz Bass be ok if I'm just starting with bass? I've played guitar for almost two years and I can actually pick up a bass and play it decently.

Should I start with something a little cheaper, or just go for what I want exactly to start with?

• Members

Are you buying these online or from a store?

And since your a guitar player take not the guitar preferences don't translate to what kinda bass you'd want. I love hollowbody guitars (I own an Artcore) but don't care for hollowbody basses.

I would sugest going to a store and playing a couple.

Adn people on this forum talk a lot of crap on MIM Fenders, but there isn't that much difference. MIM vs MIA is like the difference between Toyota and Lexus.

• Members

^I'd be buying new either way, so used deals are out.

Would the Deluxe Active Jazz Bass be ok if I'm just starting with bass? I've played guitar for almost two years and I can actually pick up a bass and play it decently.

Should I start with something a little cheaper, or just go for what I want exactly to start with?

Don't settle for cheap if you can afford what you want. You'll regret it.

My guitarist has an active Jazz, and I've messed around on it. It's a nice bass. The active circuit gives more tonal variety than on the passive model.

Having said that, I love my MIA '62 reissue strung with flats---and my guitarist likes its tone better than his active Jazz. :cool:

• Members

^The Active Jazz bass would be about the most I could afford. A MIA would be nice, but I'm not put off by a MIM. My Strat is MIM and honestly, I wouldn't take a MIA over it.

How do active electronics sound different from passive? Is it like with guitar pickups? Active pickups have higher output? Or on bass do active pups just pick up on your picking style easier?

• Members

^The Active Jazz bass would be about the most I could afford. A MIA would be nice, but I'm not put off by a MIM. My Strat is MIM and honestly, I wouldn't take a MIA over it.

How do active electronics sound different from passive? Is it like with guitar pickups? Active pickups have higher output? Or on bass do active pups just pick up on your picking style easier?

The pickups are a bit hotter I think. I plug it into the -6dB input jack on my amp. Otherwise, it gets pretty sizzly.

You can do some radical frequency boosting with the bass. You'll definitely notice the difference when you boost or cut treble, mids and/or bass.

• Members

So an active bass will respond more to EQing?

Basically it will just give me a wider range of tones to work with?

Master Volume, Pan Pot, 3-Band Active EQ with:

Treble Boost/Cut: +/- 10 db @ 8kHz, a shift in the cut frequency, and about a 2dB slope per octave.

Mid Boost/Cut: +10dB, -15dB @ 500Hz, and a wide band slope.

Bass Boost/Cut: +/- 12 db @ 40 Hz, with a 4dB slope per octave.

That's from the Fender site. You have an awful lot of frequency spectrum to play with on an Active Jazz.

• Members

I would personally go with the Fender Jazz standard... it is entirely personal preference, since the difference in tone is marginal imo.

Go to a shop and try both, you should know if you have brought guitars before that shop owners really dont mind you plugging in and have a quick jam.

Make your choice and buy new online?

Archived