This deserved its own thread!!!!!

Funkee1

• Members

Anyone who cares about the race of these two coaches are, in my opinion, racist.

I said it. Reality is tough, ain't it?

They are good, no they are great coaches that have lead their teams to the championship game. Who cares what race they are? Who cares if it has been done before. Any time you label or classify someone, you're perpetuating the concept that it matters.

Sorry. I don't mean to jump on ya guys, but it just is something that bothers me from time to time.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyone who cares about the race of these two coaches are, in my opinion, racist.

I said it. Reality is tough, ain't it?

They are good, no they are great coaches that have lead their teams to the championship game. Who cares what race they are? Who cares if it has been done before. Any time you label or classify someone, you're perpetuating the concept that it matters.

Sorry. I don't mean to jump on ya guys, but it just is something that bothers me from time to time.

Like the others. you miss the point. The Race of the coaches is significant, and I am not a racist for mentioning it. It is significant (rehash time) because there was a time when it was thought that black men lacked the leadership abilities to coach in the NFL. To deny that is foolhardy.

And of Racism itself, I have posted this before. Disliking a particular ethnic group, or seperating a particular ethnic group is bigotry, but not racism. Racism is institutional.

"I hate them Niggers". is bigotry.

"I ain't never gonna hire one of them Niggers" is racism. Get the difference?

• Members

I can't agree. I just don't recognize someone's race as important. I can't and won't see that it's significant. To celebrate something, to me, sometimes can be as bad as vilifying it. Things that separate us.

I don't have "black" or "white" or "gay" friends. I have friends. I just do not see these coach's race. I wouldn't have even taken second thought at their ethnicity except for the fact that everyone's making a big deal about it.

Oh well. To each their own.

• Members

Once again, we are all overlooking the most important issue in this thread.

There is a glaring grammatical error in the title.

Gosh.

Now if you will pardon me, I have a hankering for some spaghetti-o's. I will have to purchase some tomorrow, before which I will sleep and eat a hearty breakfast.

• Members

That's easy when there is no racist institution holding you back.

Odd.

It should be acknowledged that these men have succeeded where others have not, but it isn't a big deal. It's a sign of the times. There are equal opportunities where ther once were not and people are getting what they earn as a result.

• Members

It may already be dead for you, and I commend you for being so forward thinking, but to deny that it is a historic event is on par with saying the Holocaust is insignificant....and no I am not kidding.

i love you funkee. lots.

but that might be the dumbest {censored} i've ever read on the internets....

and i read dragoon9966's posts!

• Members

Ok. It's not on par with the Holocaust. That may have been going a tad to far.

However, I am not lumping all white people together. There are simply not appropriate words to express my position without doing some finger pointing.

And no, I am not seeking 'racial indifference". I have said repeatedly that denying what has been done is foolhardy. What I seek in collective embracing of the racial differences, and acknowledging what was done by "Them" to "us" is all part of what makes us "we".

Those who opposze me seem to want to say "Hey. It happened, but now it's over. Forget it!" What I'd like to see is more of an attitude of "It happened. Let's all work to make sure it doesn't happen again"

And, yes, in many subtle ways I have been held back by a racist institution, and more importantly, my ancestors were. Like I said, I do not feel it is necessary to "thumb my nose" at the man, but I NEed to reckognize and applaud each and every first, and you all should too!

• Members

What racial differences?

The only real difference between a white person and a black person is skin color. Any other attributes are purely social.

I never suggested that we should forget anything. It is an important part of our history as people, but banging the drum for wrongs committed by my ancestors against your ancestors is a total cop out. I have done nothing to you, that is what matters. The impact of what was done to your ancestors will only effect your life as much as you let it.

• Members

What racial differences?

The only real difference between a white person and a black person is skin color. Any other attributes are purely social.

I never suggested that we should forget anything. It is an important part of our history as people, but banging the drum for wrongs committed by my ancestors against your ancestors is a total cop out. I have done nothing to you, that is what matters. The impact of what was done to your ancestors will only effect your life as much as you let it.

So then, our points of view are not as different as they appear, and you should recognize that this is a big step forward for all people, deserving of some applause and recognition.

• Members

smith_lovie051203getty.jpg
PH2005120201720.jpg

yep... Lovie is way blacker. Hell, I'm darker than Tony Dungy in the middle of summer.

I am a hugh Tony Dungy fan, I live in Tampa and loved the Dungy era, and dispise the Gruden era (he won the superbowl with Dungy's team). Dungy is a great guy and still lives in Tampa.

• Members

smith_lovie051203getty.jpg
PH2005120201720.jpg

yep... Lovie is way blacker. Hell, I'm darker than Tony Dungy in the middle of summer.

I am a hugh Tony Dungy fan, I live in Tampa and loved the Dungy era, and dispise the Gruden era (he won the superbowl with Dungy's team). Dungy is a great guy and still lives in Tampa. But I never saw him as black, I did not even think about it until this black vs. black hype came up.

• Members
Of Course. It's ALL of our history!
:D

True. The point was more that Halle is half white and Tiger is part (half?) Thai but everyone latches on to the point that they're "black", whites included it seems. Does that make my daughter Korean despite me? (a rhetorical question more than anything)

• Members
Does that mean whites can also celebrate Hale Barry winning an Oscar for best actress and Thai can celebrate Tiger Woods being a great golfer?
;)

Sure, if they want to.

Who am I to show disdain for a celebration? I ain't no killjoy!:cool:

• Members

True. The point was more that Halle is half white and Tiger is part (half?) Thai but everyone latches on to the point that they're "black", whites included it seems. Does that make my daughter Korean despite me? (a rhetorical question more than anything)

I was gonna back out of the monster I created with this thread, but.....

That's another of thosse archaic laws that I referred to in another post, that is still on the books. If you are one tenth of one percent Black, then you're Black. Funny, though...... That law only seems to apply to black and white, as if no other "races" exist.

We all pretty much agree that it's stupid and irrelevant, but.......................

• Members

I was gonna back out of the monster I created with this thread, but.....

That's another of thosse archaic laws that I referred to in another post, that is still on the books. If you are one tenth of one percent Black, then you're Black. Funny, though...... That law only seems to apply to black and white, as if no other "races" exist.

We all pretty much agree that it's stupid and irrelevant, but.......................

My nephew's 1/16 of some type of American Indian (I forget which one now...) which gets him official status. He got the certificate and everything. I guess under that he qualifies as a minority or some such.

Yeah, dumb laws and dumb people.

• Members

Don't assume I am trying to forget the past. Not just centuries past of racism and slavery, but my own past. I'm learning from it. My ethnicity (Irish) were pretty repressed when they first immigrated to the United States years ago, but anymore they just make an offhand comment about being Alcoholics.

The point it, I have with my own two eyes seen what racism, or being TOO proud of your skin color, can do to people. I don't like it. I don't respect it. And I think it has no place in a future society.

I had a friend say to me once, "You know why, if aliens exist, they haven't landed here yet. It's because if we do {censored} to each other with various shades of brown, what will we do with someone who's green?"

• Members
I dislike both teams that played in the AFC championship game, but wanted to see the Colts win, if only cause I am just tired of the Patriots. I was looking for a reason to root for the Colts, when it hit me........ Tony Dungy!!!!

I have been a fan of his since Tampa Bay, and I always like to see a Black Coach succeed. (I know some of you have issues with this, but I got's some racial pride)

Anyway, then it hit me..... Lovie Smith is Black too!!!

This Superbowl will mark two momentous firsts: The First appearance by a Black Coach in the Super Bowl, and the first time two Black coaches faced each other in a Super Bowl!!!

Either way, the first Black Coach ever to win a superbowl will mark the start of this years Black History Month, and regardless of how you feel about "Black History" this is a Cool thing!!!!

if you are black You can't go wrong in this Superbowl. The only way this could be better is if the winner also had a black QB. However, Tony makes a ton of $$. Lovey is the lowest paid Head coach in the NFL and the underdog. So I am going with Chicago. If the Bears win the SB someone is getting one hell of a raise!!

• Members

Don't assume I am trying to forget the past. Not just centuries past of racism and slavery, but my own past. I'm learning from it. My ethnicity (Irish) were pretty repressed when they first immigrated to the United States years ago, but anymore they just make an offhand comment about being Alcoholics.

The point it, I have with my own two eyes seen what racism, or being TOO proud of your skin color, can do to people. I don't like it. I don't respect it. And I think it has no place in a future society.

I had a friend say to me once, "You know why, if aliens exist, they haven't landed here yet. It's because if we do {censored} to each other with various shades of brown, what will we do with someone who's green?"

As Calvin told Hobbs: The best proof of intelligent life from outer space is that they "havn't" tried to contact us!

Archived