This deserved its own thread!!!!!

Funkee1

• Members

I'm glad to see it and I'm ready for a black president as well. Once that happens, it won't be a big deal, the race hating morons will be silenced, blacks will feel more a part of the country and we can get on with being Americans and celebrating what we have in common as opposed to our differences. I do think its a good thing. And cograts to Coach Dungee -- he is an excellent example of a great coach, role model and person. I was rooting for him and Payton, just two cool guys.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
We (assuming you're white, which I'm not sure you are) might feel differently if we had ever had to address the idea that being black means you're less qualified to do something...

I don't think that way, and you probably don't, but there are people who do (Lug mentioned someone in the other thread who was "explaining" why a black coach would never win the super bowl)...As long as there are people who think that way, it is significant, and for the very reasons you mentioned (because there are people who think a black person can't do those things as well as a white person)...

Dude still hasn't shown up to take his medicine. :mad::D

• Moderators
Mark, you're right that it is an historic step.

It's just more important to me that at some point leaders are leaders of all people, not just one race. Since America is a big melting pot, I hope the greater legacy Dungy and Smith leave will be just that.

• Members

but to deny that it is a historic event is on par with saying the Holocaust is insignificant....and no I am not kidding.

More like the White Sox and Red Sox overcoming their curses.

Or hispanic manager in the world series.

The Holocaust is a bit of a stretch.

• Members

You and I are in agreement, KK. That's why my first sentence said this . . . .

It's just more important to me that at some point leaders are leaders of all people, not just one race. Since America is a big melting pot, I hope the greater legacy Dungy and Smith leave will be just that.

Oh, I know...I'm just suggesting that were our situations different, we might also place a different significance on the racial issue.

As I said, if anyone had told me "your racial background makes you unsuitable for success" I might be more concerned about proving that position wrong...

• Members

but to deny that it is a historic event is on par with saying the Holocaust is insignificant....and no I am not kidding.

What the {censored}? Are you out of your mind?

Denying that this is an historic event would be on par with saying that Rosa Parks did little more than sit on a {censored}ing bus. To draw a holocaust comparison is beyond stupid.

Sure, it's an important event for black people, but it would be an even bigger event if no one played it up and simply moved past it as if they just expect black people to be every bit as good as white people, because they are. Making a huge issue of it makes people of color seem like they are still trying to prove something which puts them in the weaker position. To see this event for what it is rather than make a big deal out of it would be worth far more than what will actually happen.

Black people should simply expect to see other black people succeed and it would probably mean a hell of a lot more if there wasn't a big parade every time a black person did something that no black person has ever done before.

• Members
I will NOT be satisfied until a native American becomes President.
:mad:

Does Tiger Woods have any Native American ancestry? He's smart and personable, and he's already got a rather polyethnic background, so he could be the "First President" for like six or seven ethnicities :D

• Members
Does Tiger Woods have any Native American ancestry? He's smart and personable, and he's already got a rather polyethnic background, so he could be the "First President" for like six or seven ethnicities
:D

+1. Isn't that what they're saying is the "problem" with Obama? We need to breed a president. :D

• Members
+1. Isn't that what they're saying is the "problem" with Obama? We need to breed a president.

It would take a couple of generations, but we could have a president that is 1/32 of 32 different ethnicities! The Great uniter :D

Of course, then we're basically the Bene Gesserit from Dune trying to create the Kwisatz Haderach :D

• Members
It would take a couple of generations, but we could have a president that is 1/32 of 32 different ethnicities! The Great uniter

Of course, then we're basically the Bene Gesserit from Dune trying to create the Kwisatz Haderach

well, we'd better be careful, once we get into eugenics, will it result in Paul Atriedes, or....

khan.jpg
Khaaaaaaaaan!

Archived