This deserved its own thread!!!!!

Funkee1

• Members

I dislike both teams that played in the AFC championship game, but wanted to see the Colts win, if only cause I am just tired of the Patriots. I was looking for a reason to root for the Colts, when it hit me........ Tony Dungy!!!!

I have been a fan of his since Tampa Bay, and I always like to see a Black Coach succeed. (I know some of you have issues with this, but I got's some racial pride)

Anyway, then it hit me..... Lovie Smith is Black too!!!

This Superbowl will mark two momentous firsts: The First appearance by a Black Coach in the Super Bowl, and the first time two Black coaches faced each other in a Super Bowl!!!

Either way, the first Black Coach ever to win a superbowl will mark the start of this years Black History Month, and regardless of how you feel about "Black History" this is a Cool thing!!!!:D :D

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it would mean more if they didn't make such a big deal of it.

There are 32 NFL teams and 7 of them are coached by Black men, I think.

That's over 20%, compare that to the percentage of people who are black in the population at large.

What's the big deal?

• Members

This deserved it is own thread?

(Grammar police, leaving a ticket on your windshield.)
:p

It's Ebonics, Mutha....... Don't be messin wit de black man'''s grammar! You know we don't talk right cause of all that opression from the white man!

BTW, the reason we make a big deal about it isn't because of the percentage of the population, it's because there is still this perception that the race of the coach or quarterback has some kind of outcome on the final score of the game, and the Black Coach or QB is frequently on the negative end of this.

It truly doesn't matter, but if you are the one constantly being told "Yolu can't do this" you should be allowed to do a nose thumb when you succeed.

Now, the number of "White" people who still hold on to this "Blacks can't coach" thing (at least publicly) is pretty small, but they tend to be loud and obnoxious, and this Superbowl will serve as a big steaming cup of STFU for them!

• Members

I think it would mean more if they didn't make such a big deal of it.

There are 32 NFL teams and 7 of them are coached by Black men, I think.

That's over 20%, compare that to the percentage of people who are black in the population at large.

What's the big deal?

As Mark said, there's still the perception held by many (you even note Limbaugh, who while we always wish is alone in his thinking, rarely is :D)

Perhaps the wider perception can be seen more in the college game. The NFL is a business, and the only people's opinions who matter is the Owner. Black coaches are plentiful in the NFL because Owners care about success. In College, boosters and committees must be kept happy, and there's little black advancement (I'm not positive that's the reason, but something is, because there are fewer coaches in the College game despite having 3 times as many teams)...

• Members

Ok, just to be a pain in the ass and stir the pot a bit - from the looks of him, I'd say Tony Dungy has as much white in him as black. So what does that mean?

(It always kind of bugs me that someone's "black" if they've got any african heritage, but they're not "white" unless their appearance is just about entirely caucasian.)

• Members

With all due respect, history is history. A coach is a coach. I don't give a rat's ass what pigmentation the skin happens to have. It's a non-issue.

Well, that's where you're wrong. It is an issue because it's never been done before.

Now, after THIS year, It can be put to rest forever (I hope).

• Members

As Mark said, there's still the perception held by many (you even note Limbaugh, who while we always wish is alone in his thinking, rarely is
:D
)

I heard Limbaugh's comments today on the radio.

He noted that they are both great coaches and are such not because they are black but because they do great things as coaches. He went on to say the no one says Parcells is a great coach because he's white. He added that the majority (~75%) of the players are not white but he's not complaining about that either. He believes that the owners should put the best players, and coaches, on the field regardless of race.

I find it hard to argue with what he's saying.

• Members

He noted that they are both great coaches and are such not because they are black but because they do great things as coaches. He went on to say the no one says Parcells is a great coach because he's white. He added that the majority (~75%) of the players are not white but he's not complaining about that either. He believes that the owners should put the best players, and coaches, on the field regardless of race.

With that particular statement, sure. But the "The Media is trying to create a successful Black quarterback" comment? It's not Jimmy the Greek or anything, but his point (that McNabb may get more attention because he's black) got lost in his words on that one (and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt)...

And Parcells isn't a great coach anymore :D

• Members

What's never been done before:confused:

There's been a coach at every Superbowl.

Re-read my other posts: It's an issue because there are doubters who have made the race of the coach an issue. Now that two black coaches have reached a super bowl, and one of them will eventually win, the issue will become dead.

It may already be dead for you, and I commend you for being so forward thinking, but to deny that it is a historic event is on par with saying the Holocaust is insignificant....and no I am not kidding.

• Members

Does anyone say Parcells is a great coach for any reason? White or not, I think he's a lousy coach. :p

• Members

It may already be dead for you, and I commend you for being so forward thinking, but to deny that it is a historic event is on par with saying the Holocaust is insignificant....and no I am not kidding.

I'm with you on significant...

But you just compared coaching a football game to the systematic genocide of 13 million people...Get a grip...

• Moderators

Mark, you're right that it is an historic step. It's more important to me, though, that they speak intelligently, maintain self control, don't go off on profanity laced tirades, treat their players properly, and are obviously very good leaders of men. The way they present themselves makes them role models for younger people of all races. IMHO, that is far more important than what race they happen to be.

• Members

IMHO, that is far more important than what race they happen to be.

We (assuming you're white, which I'm not sure you are) might feel differently if we had ever had to address the idea that being black means you're less qualified to do something...

I don't think that way, and you probably don't, but there are people who do (Lug mentioned someone in the other thread who was "explaining" why a black coach would never win the super bowl)...As long as there are people who think that way, it is significant, and for the very reasons you mentioned (because there are people who think a black person can't do those things as well as a white person)...

• Members

The human race? What other kinds of animals have coached football?

Hehehe.... You know, from some of the antics I've seen performed by some coaches, I've often wondered that same thing myself!

(Although the best example I can think of at this instant of sub-human behavior from a sports coach comes from basketball, not football - Mr. Bobby Knight. Bastard ought to be doing hard time instead of coaching.)

Archived