ot: mixer

rikshaw

• Members

i know that there is another forum for this but i trust the advice that i get here. i'm looking for a small mixer to do some home recording. what are the things that i need to consider when shopping? i know that i need an input channel for each instrument and singer. what i don't know is what to look for as far as aux sends, number of busses, etc...

any help is appreciated

rick

• CMS Author

Aux's...if you use effects, one for each channel of effects, these should be post-fader aux's. For monitors, one for each separate monitor mix, and they should be pre-fader aux's.

Buses..not really a specific issue, just be sure you have outputs for everything you need to connect with.

A good solid inexpensive mixer is the Peavey PV series. Mackie is pretty popular for recording, not for live use. Yamaha MG is a good all-around value.

• Members

The Peavey RQ mixers pop up on ebay often. I've had two of them and really like the layout.

If you're just using it for recording then any reasonable quality mixer should be fine. I'm assuming that you will be recording dry and then adding effects with pro tools or whatever once the material is on the hard drive.

• Members

:freak:

Friends don't let friends buy behringer.

PS I like mine.

my last band used a behringer board for a while. it worked fine and sounded great but some of the knobs fell off too quickly. i wont bad mouth them but i wont buy any of their products.

• Members

Get at least 6 mic pres if you want to do some live recording. I've had very good luck with behringer boards, but I've got a real nice little Alesis recording board with 8 mic pres and four extra stereo inputs Ibought for $200 on a NOS closeout. Just keep your eyes open - you can find a sweet little board for 2 or 3 hundred dollaros.

• Members

What do I use?

232617.jpg

Allen-heath GL2400, I {censored}ing love this console. I also have a Peavey RQ 24-channel board and I love that too.

Behringer mixers are cheap and have lots of channels and decent features... but they'll last you maybe a few weeks. All the behringer boards I've used have had issues, most of them serious (one overheated and melted somehow).

So yeah, peavey's PV series of mixers are decent. Yamaha's MG series of mixers are great too. If you just plan on using the mixer for home recording and are capable of spending around $550, I'd say you should just get a MOTU 8pre. Inexpensive, 8 channel firewire and ADAT interface. Seriously, one of these and some quality mics and you'll be set to make some SWEET recordings. Hell, get two, spend a bunch on some mics, acoustic treatment, good software, and a good computer, and you can open a small studio!

Archived