What's your take on Fender Aerodynes?

Jamacuco

• Members

Love the looks of them! Played a black one with flats on it, loved the sound! Have almost picked up a cherry red one off the bay. Now that the blue P-bodied one is available, I dunno... Could wind up with one!

I thought is was light in weight and nicely balanced, and also sat comfortable on my leg for playing while sitting down. Had a rich P-bass tone soloing the P, and you could add some bridge J if you wanted. I liked the P-ness of it. The neck was comfy and not at all fat.

• Members

I find them a bit too light for my tastes, but i haven't played the new P version, only the black J

+1 I played it up against a Zone and the Zone kicked it's ass. Not a bad bass, just nothing special in the sound department for me.

• Members

Thanks a lot! I am considering building a PJ bass project and some aerodyne bodies came around. I'll keep an eye on them and see if the price is appealing. The weight certainly is.

Thunderbroom wrote:

I've never tried on but do like the look. If you're willing to consider used, you may want to look for a used Fender Jazz Special (P bass with a J neck) from the 80's. I've got two. They're my main gigging basses.

Tried that way already but they are really hard and pricey to get here in Spain. You and Bob are like endorsers to these models and really gave me a bad case of GAS on them but so far I haven't been lucky finding one in good conditions or a reasonable price in Europe.

• Members
Thanks a lot! I am considering building a PJ bass project and some aerodyne bodies came around. I'll keep an eye on them and see if the price is appealing. The weight certainly is.

Tried that way already but they are really hard and pricey to get here in Spain. You and Bob are like endorsers to these models and really gave me a bad case of GAS on them but so far I haven't been lucky finding one in good conditions or a reasonable price in Europe.

If weight is an issue, the Aerodyne excells at not having much. :D

• Members
i had a fender aerodyne jazz (p/j config) and liked it quite a bit. played nice, looked good, felt good. my only gripe about them is the bent steel bridge, but that's easily remedied with a badass or some other bridge.

I am considering a hipshot vintage or B-style bass bridge. I am not sure about the BadAssII possibility since the bridge is a bit recessed into the body and that might mean having to route a way for the BadAssII. Not that appealing for a first project.

If I get that body I'll do some measuring and we'll see which bridges fit into it or what I do about it.

:wave:

• Members
I am considering a hipshot vintage or B-style bass bridge. I am not sure about the BadAssII possibility since the bridge is a bit recessed into the body and that might mean having to route a way for the BadAssII. Not that appealing for a first project.

If I get that body I'll do some measuring and we'll see which bridges fit into it or what I do about it.

:wave:

i thought the badassII was a direct replacement for fender?:confused:

• Members
i thought the badassII was a direct replacement for fender?
:confused:

It is, but on Aerodynes the lower part of the bridge plate is dug a hair into the body/finish. Or so it seems on the pics of the body I've seen... I could be wrong, so I'll wait for the body to get home before thinking about a bridge. I'm in no hurry.

• Members
+1, but I'd like to try the P bodied version...I think I prefer the Bob Nyswonger/T-broom sig models though
;)

Dang. I just came across a Japanese Fender Jazzbass Special. It is in a very distressed condition (rusty hardare, nicks and dings and some finish chipped off...). I'll be seeing it first-person and checking the overall feeling of the instrument. I might want to refinish it, strip it all apart, clean the rusty hardware and swap the electronics/PUs.

Although when you think about it it might be better to settle for a project bass instead of bastardizing this one...

Watchathink?

Archived