pickup suggestions

bob, just bob

• Members

I have a MIM Fender J Bass V, and while I generally like the sound, the hum from when I just use one pickup is really starting to annoy me (especially since I mostly play it while recording). I play mostly contemporary rock (Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins....).

I've been a lurker for a while, and I've seen plenty of these threads... The Dimarzios sound like they could be interesting, but their website (as well as Seymour Duncan's) says that their 5 string jazz pickups aren't compatible with Fenders... I've also thought about the Fender SCNs (or perhaps skipping Fender and go right to Bill Lawrence), but I haven't heard much about how these sound...

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

• Members

I had a new Jazz bass a few years back, and was really shocked by the noise ( hum). I e-mailed Fender both in australia and USA - I eventually was offered their 'noiseless' jazz pickups at cost price, which I went for but they just hummed a little softer. So I canned tht basss and got back my Jazz with the Bartolini's J's - they were dead quite, and sounded SOOOO good

• Members

looking at the link bassplayer7770 posted, they show:

Bridge - 105mm (4.13")

Neck - 101mm (3.98")

which is what I'm measuring on my bass

So, it sounds like the Barts might be a good choice. Thanks for the replies! Are there any other suggestions?

Awesome. Glad I could help. They were direct replacements on my old Fender too.:thu: I didn't know of any other options...

Archived