Anyone play with bass pedals?

Rowka

• Members

They are really just synth pedals.

And it can be done on the cheap, with an inexpensive sound module and a MIDI pedal that sends note controllers. Virtual Analog synths/modules are particularly good for this type application, and a good foot controller is the Behringer FCB1010. The FCB1010 isn't laid out in keyboard fashion. This can be useful, as you can assign ANY note to ANY switch. And if you remember to make one switch send an ALL NOTES OFF command, you can actually build chords if your synth/module allows you to limit polyphony.

• Members

I used one back in the late '70s and early '80s. I thought it was pretty cool for some limited applications. I mostly used it when doing some keyboard parts or high bass parts to keep the bottom. It would be cheesy if overused IMO.

• Members

Ii use those exact pedals. Occasional backing string/key parts and sound effects (like the ocian waves sound in GFR"s "Closer to Home" or the siren in REO's "Riding the Storm Out"). You'll also have to buy a synth module to convert the MIDI signal to a sound or have a synth/keyboard with MIDI input (or I suppose you could have a laptop with synth software). I use an old Alesis QSR, but there are other better ones to chose from.

• Members

I want something like this that isn't a midi controller. Any ideas?

Yo.

Like an analog synth controller? I've got a set of pedals from an old organ that I'd like to hook up to something like this:

One Octave Foot Pedal Controller

and then use it to control a small monosynth. And set it on a table and bang it with my fists. (saw someone do that in a video years ago)

Archived