Finally got my "Rig of Doom Metal"!

kingfinn

• Members

After going through many combinations of gig rigs I am finally where I want to be.

I've had Hartke, Peavy, Fender, Vintage Road and Earth amps, GK, SWR and even a Marshall.

None would cut it live. Tone or volume.

Got me a Sansamp RBI, Furman power conditioner, Fender tuner and a Kustom 1200 watt head mounted in a Gator Rack through a Ampeg Classic 8 X 10 cab.

The RBI is freaking incredible along with the EQ on the amp I am in tone heaven.

Used it for a recording session Monday and the engineer could take a "clean" or "effected" line out.

It brings the "DOOM" and will destroy your glassware so you must keep it at least 25 feet from the amp.

My guitarist plays a stack (300 watt all tube head and 4 X 12 cab) and tells me to turn it down now, before it was turn it up more.:thu:

• Members

Got me a Sansamp RBI, Furman power conditioner, Fender tuner and a Kustom 1200 watt head mounted in a Gator Rack through a Ampeg Classic 8 X 10 cab.

That must be impressive, enjoy! Curious why you run a RBI into the Kustom head though.

On a seperate note, I don't think I'll play in any more bands with guitards who haven't discovered 'low' powered heads and 112 or 212 cabs yet. :(

• Members

Fender currently makes an all tube 300 watt head, the Fender 300 pro and ampeg has the Pro II wich is the same configuration.

Six power tubes and tons of headroom.

I belive they are both available at Music 123 or MF.

I know GC carries them I have seen them on the web sites.

And yes my guitarist is now ordering an Electric 140 watt head and two 4 X 12 cabs.

It's like a friendly arms race!:evil:

• Members

I'm running the RBI for versatility and to bring out the mids with a little distortion.

I've tried pedals like the T-rex bass juice and the muff and when you crank it you loose the definition or tone.

The RBI has eliminated that problem and I can emulate almost any sound.:thu:

• Members

:o Sorry I did not elaborate on my guitarists rig.

He is playing through an vintage Ampeg Bass head with a 4 X 12 Splawn cabinet and a buttload of pedals. It is a 300 watt classic head, not sure of what year it was made. I'll find out the exact model # from him.

I should have been more clear on that, my apologies.

It is extremely loud!

• Members

funny I found this thread and I'm already in it somehow...th

I play an old ampeg v4 head, but it's only 100w not 300. Not sure where you got that 300 figure walt. Some say they rate at 120w. I can never turn it up very high really, but I prefer high power single channel amps for the muscle and vibe. I am wanting to order a custom Electric amp someday soon when I scrape up the extra cash, but the 4x12's are not in the near future. There is no competition really because you're way more gear nuts than me!

The sansamp really makes his rig because it provides a nice growly overdrive.

Archived