So I <I>need<I> to learn upright

jrkirkish

• Members

I'm going to university. One of the requirements for graduating is that I'll have to play in orchestra. I don't really play any instruments. I've been playing guitar for 10 years and bass for 4, neither professionally. Give me a month and I can re-learn to read bass clef.

The head AUB player in my college orchestra teaches at a music college near me. I'll probably get lessons from him. I do not have an upright. I expect to join orchestra in 2 years.

So here are my questions:

Are musicians friend basses (the around a grand ones) good enough for me, or should I save up for a proper one (an old kay? give me some options)

Is two years a reasonable amount of time to play in a university orchestra?

And any other advice you can give me....

• Members

Contact your university before you lay down the cash for an URB. Many schools with even half-assed music programs have at least one or two basses that they can rent out for a reasonable price, and then you'd be able to practice a lot for a couple years without having to pay $1000 or more for a new one or several hundred for a used one.

Take lessons from the uni's upright instructor even before you join orchestra, so that you learn proper bowing, fingering, and pizzicato techniques and can play in the orchestra with some idea of what you're doing.

• Members

What course are you doing that requires you to play upright?

I want a double bass - someday...

Anyhoo... thats like taking Physics and being told that you have to be able to swim across the English channel or something...

he said that he has to be in the orchestra to graduate so he is a music major of some kind:thu:

i want to learn upright too i am willing to buy one though im either gonna buy a englehardt from bob or a shen from upton. im leaning twards upton because there are no luthiers in tulsa ans upton does a complete setup before shipping and gaurantees their product:thu: which is worth the extra $$$ to me.

• Members

What course are you doing that requires you to play upright?

I want a double bass - someday...

Anyhoo... thats like taking Physics and being told that you have to be able to swim across the English channel or something...

As a music major, most universities expect you to double on upright and electric. Even some smaller colleges expect it to an extent.

It isn't that different; you'd be expected to play upright in jazz band and in orchestra.

Archived