So I just bought a mic and stand...

Thumper

• Members

I screwed up at rehearsal this week. My bandmates now know I can sing harmonies.
:o

So, off to Tigard Music for a Shure SM58 mic, cable, stand and boom.

All good stuff. It set me back $210.

I thought basses were expensive...
:freak:

:thu:

I ended up with an SM58, 3 boom stands, a stand bag, foam windscreen, and cable for about 220 USD. (edit: maybe slightly less...i bought the cable locally).

Granted the stands are tripod bases, but the 3-pack was a fairly decent deal off AMS just before Xmas.

Unfortunately, I landed the job soon thereafter and won't get to sing backup vocals in the band I'm leaving. :mad:

• Members

I screwed up at rehearsal this week. My bandmates now know I can sing harmonies.
:o

So, off to Tigard Music for a Shure SM58 mic, cable, stand and boom.

All good stuff. It set me back $210.

I thought basses were expensive...
:freak:

Hey! My favorite music store! Say hello to Jason for me:thu:

And that guy that works in the front... I can never remember his name though. He sold me some guitar polish the other night.

• Members

The mic has the on/off switch. It cost $119.

Hohner tripod mic stand ($40), K&M boom ($50), and a 30 ft Conquest cable ($20). I could have gotten everythinc cheaper AT GC, but I really try to buy stuff at the local shop.

Whoa, that's one expensive stand! I buy most of my stuff from the local music shop, except for stuff they don't carry, then I'll head to Long and Mcquade's. They're awesome too though.

From my local store:

Shure Beta 58a $200

Tripod stand w/ boom $40

25' XLR cable $25

:thu:

• Members

The stand wasn't cheap, but it's pretty rugged. I need that, as I'll probably be knocking it over a lot. It's been a few years since I've sung back-up. :D

The boom is a K&M telescoping boom made in Germany. Again, not cheap, but I like decent gear and don't mind paying a bit more to keep the local guys in business.

• Members

The stand wasn't cheap, but it's pretty rugged. I need that, as I'll probably be knocking it over a lot. It's been a few years since I've sung back-up.
:D

The boom is a K&M telescoping boom made in Germany. Again, not cheap, but I like decent gear and don't mind paying a bit more to keep the local guys in business.

I bought a stand and boom for 30 bucks and it was just fine while the base and I were both standing on the same surface. We played a gig last week where I was all bunched up on a stage riser and we had to put our mic stands on the floor about 14 inches below us. That extra height made my cheap stand very unstable and I had to lay a gig bag on the base to keep it from tipping. I had just bought an EV ND767A mic and was concerned it might die. The other singer has a beefier and twice as expensive stand and he had no problems.

I guess you get what you pay for. They have a thing in sales called buyers remorse. You can buy a piece of gear for X dollars. You are totally satisfied with your deal, but your friend says you spent too much; your drummer says his cousin in another band bought something 'similar' and spent only half of what you did. Your wife/girlfriend calls you an idiot. After a couple of days of this, you might feel like you are an idiot and wonder if you should send the stuff back and forget about the whole thing. Those other people don't always have your best interest at heart and your drummer's cousin might have bought a 29 dollar no-name mic and the same stand that I bought !!

Enjoy your gear- you can't go wrong with a quality stand, an SM-58 and a quality cable.

And buying from your local peeps is a good idea. You might need an emergency loaner for the amp that just died during sound check. If you have a good relationship with your local dealer, they will probably help you out.

• Members

Enjoy your gear- you can't go wrong with a quality stand, an SM-58 and a quality cable.

If you spend the money you might as well enjoy the hell out of what you bought!

I bought a new digital camera about a month ago and that set me back about $350. I could've just kept my old camera which took decent pictures and didn't give me any problems... but {censored} it! This new camera rocks!

• Members

The stand wasn't cheap, but it's pretty rugged. I need that, as I'll probably be knocking it over a lot. It's been a few years since I've sung back-up.
:D

Those are the only mic stands that last any time. Just about every major production company only uses K&M stands. There's a reason for that. The other advantage of the K&M stands is that when they do break you can replace every part on them pretty easily. They're expensive but worth it.

Archived