Audio for Various Lakland Models

bassplayer7770

• Members

Also just realized most of these are the Skyline models (except the Decade).:thu:

The video Nino posted of the new 4-string with Lakland electronics is also cool.:thu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMJ1KjkQW3M

I gotta say I'm seriously considering a 55-02 for my next bass. Depends on my tax refund and bonus this year...

• Members

Very cool site feature. I wish more bass/amp/cab vendors would take the time and effort to do cool, valuable stuff like this on their websites.

And I agree with Beam...with the exception of the MM, I like the originals better. There did seem to be something of a contradiction in the philosophy behind the Lakland electronics and the purpose of the demonstration. The vid states that Lakland decided to develop their own electronics to create a unique voice/sound but then go on to demonstrate how well they can cop the sounds of three classic bass tones.

• Moderators

There did seem to be something of a contradiction in the philosophy behind the Lakland electronics and the purpose of the demonstration. The vid states that Lakland decided to develop their own electronics to create a unique voice/sound but then go on to demonstrate how well they can cop the sounds of three classic bass tones.

You're right and the next two videos in this series will demonstrate how these tones were made (eq) and, more importantly, an exploration of the unique voice of the Lakland basses.

• Members

You're right and the next two videos in this series will demonstrate how these tones were made (eq) and, more importantly, an exploration of the unique voice of the Lakland basses.

Very cool! I'll look forward to them!

I :love: my 55-01 (but I secretly wish it was a 55-02)

• Moderators

What does that rear switch do?

On the Bart-loaded models, it's a coil tap...but those DS pups are single coils.

So I'm confused
:(

Good catch. It's the "Dark Switch." It selects a different cap in the tone circuit. Bleeds more highs and makes the overall tone darker. It's really just a creative way to fill the hole left from the coil tap when the Dark Stars are installed. The baseline tone with this bass (using flats) is thick, full and deep. Who the heck needs this bass to be darker?

• Members

Good catch. It's the "Dark Switch." It selects a different cap in the tone circuit. Bleeds more highs and makes the overall tone darker. It's really just a creative way to fill the hole left from the coil tap when the Dark Stars are installed. The baseline tone with this bass (using flats) is thick, full and deep. Who the heck needs this bass to be darker?

Ahh ok, thank you.

Hmm, good point. Making that a series/parallel switch could be interesting ;)

• Moderators

Ahh ok, thank you.

Hmm, good point. Making that a series/parallel switch could be interesting
;)

I thought about it, but I'm going to give it some time and find my voice with it first. I spent some time on the phone with Larry Pollack of Aero Instrument a while back and he talked me out of modding my jazz bass with his pickups to be set up series/parallel. After talking with the guys in the shop at Lakland, I also think that they would have set it up series/parallel if they thought it was useful. I'm pretty sure they thought the dark switch was a better idea.

Archived