What is your favorite jazz group/ensemble/band?

y-o-y

• Members

I just got the latest live Pat Metheny Group DVD and I realized how much I really dig these guys. For a long time I was a serious bebob/hard bop bigot, but PMG has really made me appreciate more contemporary jazz artistry. He assembles such fantastic musicians and the band is super tight. Antonio Sanchez's drumming in particular is just awesome.

so, if you are a jazzer (or not) what are your favorite jazz bands, and why?

• Members

Spyro Gyra, Flim and the BB's

I use one of their CD's to set the p.a. system before a soundcheck. If I can get the CD right, then everything else falls into place.

Why? I dunno. I don't know art, but I know . . . .

EDIT: Left out Leo Kottke. Not really jazz, but. . . .

• Members

my favorite combination of people has to be ron carter, herbie hancock and tony williams. as a trio or rhythm section, they are incredibly dynamic and solid. discs 4 and 5 of miles' seven steps box set are from the 1964 naacp benefit show, which is my favorite example of them playing as a group. ron carter's solo stuff is amazing, but you already knew that.

• Members

I can't believe no on has said Kenny G yet!

Actually a funny story about Kenny Gorelick...I grew up in the Seattle area and a friend of mine lived on Lake Washington across a small bay from Kenny. He used to go out on his dock and play his annoying soprano saxophone and annoy all his neighbors. He was eventually run out of town.

rumor has it he was a smokin legit jazz saxophonist in high school, before Barry White got his grubby fat hands on him :D

• Members

+1 on Medeski, Martin and Wood.

I don't listen to a lot of jazz but when I do it's likely either MMW or one of my old Thelonious Monk Recordins.

I like the Dave Brubeck Quartet record I have too. 'Time Out'.

I suppose I just prefer my jazz to be a little bit strange. To smell funny perhaps...

• Members

Max Roach - Percussion Bitter Sweet

Eric Dolphy - Out There

John Mclaughlin -Extrapolation

Are some of my more favorite more "out there" Jazz artist's CDs. I am a big fan of the "no compromise" mentality of these records which are extremely dense and a joy to listen to and partly why I cannot stomach most modern jazz artists.

• Members

I really love a lot of the Oscar Peterson Trio work from the 50s. Basically, anything with Ray Brown. :D

Bill Evans' trio at the Vanguard recording sessions, plus his other trio and/or solo work on Everybody Digs Bill Evans and On Green Dolphin Street. As well as his stint with Miles circa 1959 (?).

Sonny Rollins as leader also makes me smile.

• Members

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. Anyone who hasn't checked these guys out needs to do so! Swingin' For The Fences is a good starting album.

Dizzy Gillespie's Live At Newport is another one I really dig. It was recorded with one of Dizzy's big bands with some great players-Lee Morgan, Benny Golson, Al Grey, etc.

Archived