Back in the USSR!

AntiStuff

• Members

I'm learning it for my solo project that I'm embarking on, and it got me thinking: could there ever be another band like the Beatles? Specifically, could there ever be a band that musically diverse and that commercially successful at the same time?

I'd like to think the music industry would one day change to the point where it would be possible again.

• Members

my appreciation of the Beatles grew exonentially when I listened to the white album... I see It as their way of saying: "no matter what kind of music we do, we'll be the best!"... (well except for Revolution 9, although they were doing stuff in there that have gone mainstream since then...)...

• Members

my appreciation of the Beatles grew exonentially when I listened to the white album... I see It as their way of saying: "no matter what kind of music we do, we'll be the best!"... (well except for Revolution 9, although they were doing stuff in there that have gone mainstream since then...)...

Revolution 9 really isn't too far from what guys like John Cage were doing at about the same time. He didn't go mainstream either!:D

• Members

I highly doubt there will ever be a phenom that was the Beatles.

The time and circumstances fell right in place for them.

+1 Time, Circumstances and TALENT.

Just out of curiousity, what was the last big band that had more than one good singer?

Have a brain freeze right now. I can only think of a few since the 60's.

Beatles, Eagles, and Fleetwood Mac. There must be a few more. Anyway, I think a huge part of the Beatles success was they had 2 great singers, a 3rd who was pretty good and a charismatic drummer capable of belting out an occasional hit. With the number of quality songs and different members singing them, fans didn't have an opportunity to get bored with just one sound.

• Members

+1 Time, Circumstances and TALENT.

Just out of curiousity, what was the last big band that had more than one good singer?

Have a brain freeze right now. I can only think of a few since the 60's.

Beatles, Eagles, and Fleetwood Mac. There must be a few more. Anyway, I think a huge part of the Beatles success was they had 2 great singers, a 3rd who was pretty good and a charismatic drummer capable of belting out an occasional hit. With the number of quality songs and different members singing them, fans didn't have an opportunity to get bored with just one sound.

Blink 182 used both singers for different songs. Same sound from the band on all of the songs though.

What really stands out for me about the Beatles is how many different styles they played well. The bands who do that now that I can think of are much less mainstream. Ween, for example.

• Members

What made the Beatles great was that, in those styles, they could write a catchy melody that stands up over time (30 to 40+ years).

They were artistically great, good to great musicians, and yet still very mainstream. The talent is undeniable. In almost every Beatles album, each song has a strong melody and is good, maybe not great, but pretty good and listenable.

Most other bands have a few hits per album and filler songs that are mediocre. You skip those to get to the good ones. Didn't have to do that with most Beatles albums.

• Members

I'd imagine that most anyone from Queen could do vocals if they wanted to (weren't they all trained vocalists?).

Dokken - Don's not bad and the bass player sings pretty damn well.

Oasis - both the brothers can sing.

Depeche Mode - Martin Gore's probably a better singer than David

Heart - Ann and Nancy Wilson :cool:

• Members

You can list almost any style of music and find a Beatle song that was a great example for that genre:

sappy 40's style musical - Martha My Dear

early R &R - I Saw Her Standing There

country ballad - Rocky Raccoon

country - One After 909

straight up rock- Back in USSR , Taxman

etc.etc.

Amazing band:thu:

• Members

Savatage. Stupidly talented band, 2 incredible (and very different) singers, 2 pretty good ones, all tremendously talented people.

Check out their later albums like 'Wake Of Magellan' or 'Dead Winter Dead' to see what I mean. Their earlier stuff is driven by the playing of possibly the greatest guitarist ever to live in Metal, Criss Oliva, but after his untimely death in 1993 they took another direction.

Their originality far outstrips 95% of other metal bands, with a seemingly endless stream of ideas and inspiration, with new methods and influences appearing all the time. Each album sounds unique, and yet still like the same band. Truly remarkable.

Sadly, the band seems to be on permanent hiatus now, no official news from them in over a year.

Savatage never recieved even a fraction of the attention they rightfully deserved, even from the metal crowd.

Archived