Is it ok to have a tube amp not hooked up to a cab, while switched to Standby?

ToeJamFootball

• Members

I can't see why it would hurt it, as in standby it isn't putting any voltage through the audio circuit, only heating the valves

Hopefully someone slightly more knowledgable can confirm it - it might be worth checking the amp forum, while not bassists, there are some guys on there very knoledgable on this stuff (if you can find them)

David

• Members

Standby only keeps the heater wires going. You should be fine.

In fact, you should be fine even without keeping the amp full on, as long as you don't play though it.

You *might* be fine, and I know I have managed to switch mine on without a cab plugged in and it came out fine after the 30 seconds of playing and trying to figure what is wrong, but I definately wouldn't recommend it.

Even when you are not playing, you can still get hum and background noise a lot of the time, which could still damage the amp without a cab to let it run through, and thats without the chance of you hitting the strings accidentally or something and putting a signal through, so I would always put it to standby, its not exactly a massive task to flick the switch when you go to change cab. Even if it may not be necessary, it is still a very good practise.

David

Archived