A question on the versatility of Rickenbackers

50calexplorer

• Moderators

As far as I know, the most popular bass by far is the Precision and copies thereof.

Does anyone complain that this one-pickup design is not versatile? that it is a one-trick pony?

Of course not. Yet the design is as old as that of the Ric, probably older.

For my money, the Ric is at least as versatile as any other passive, two-single coil pickup bass out there, and more versatile than most.

• Members

I went and played it again last night and laid it away, so I have 60 days to pay for it now, luckily I got some good paying gigs coming up so it'll take me about month or so to pay it off.

I'm also selling my Lakland 55-01 for now and I'll eventually get a 55-02 wwith the new Lakland pick-ups and pre-amp in it.

So if anyone is interested in that PM me.

• Members

33 and a HALF inch.
:D

I don't really notice that difference when switching between my P-bass and the Ric. But I've been accused of being an insensitive bastard more than once.

It's actually "33 1/4", but that ain't the thing that matters.:D

What matters is that I've had my "Old Piece Of {censored} '72 Rick 4001" for about 25 years and have used that Rick for every style of music I've ever played and it has been just as kick-ass at Blues as it ever was at Rush, Yes, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin...bla bla bla!

One Trick Pony, my arse!:thu:

• CMS Author

As far as I know, the most popular bass by far is the Precision and copies thereof.

Does anyone complain that this one-pickup design is not versatile? that it is a one-trick pony?

Of course not. Yet the design is as old as that of the Ric, probably older.

For my money, the Ric is at least as versatile as any other passive, two-single coil pickup bass out there, and more versatile than most.

It's no coincidence that my two basses are the ones you mention here.

If I can find a good 5-er so my Nickelback covers are, well, covered, I'll be set.

Okay, maybe a Stingray too.....

• Members

I reluctantly sold my original '72 (LL444) because I wanted a fender for aggressive fingerstyle. I knew it was stupid then, and I've kicked myself 1000 times for it. If I can only have one bass though, it won't be a Rick - much as I love them. They are wonderful for recording...and I've heard just about every kind of music played on them.

• Members

I'm weighing in a little late here, but the Mapleglo 4003 I played over break had a ton of sounds in it. Between the two pickups, the tone controls, and the "vintage tone" push/pull switch on the tone knob, there were plenty of sounds to be had-big and bassy, thin and snarly, and some really strange sounds-thanks to the push/pull switch-were on tap, and the construction was top-notch.

Now, the sound is very distinctive, but it's not a "one-trick pony" by any means.

Bob-that's not the same Rick you had in Columbus last March, is it?

• Members

after hearing those clips i think id have to put a sansamp or something in front of a rick if i ever bought one.

its called clank..some dig it..most..but a minority dont so cant really get on with the rickenbacker

mine could sound soft and really cool...but i didnt like the thin ness of the body and the bridge design...i put on a badass II

what i felt it needed was a shake-up in design...forearm chamfer...smooth surface pups and no kid on plastic horseshoe gizmo which seems to get taken off and the bridge...the mutes were a good idea and neck through excellent..

i see rics have done some upgrading..and

Archived