What basses should exist yet don't?

JanVanHove

• Members

I saw recently in a thread here someone (I don't remember who...) who had converted a 5-string ABG into an 8-stringer... Considering the chronic volume problem of ABG, this seemed like an amazingly logical thing to do...

Yet, as far as I can tell, there are no such things as 8-string ABGs...

What do you think are the basses that should exist but don't?

(congratulations to me on a subtle way to introduce my latest fantasy 12-string avatar.... :rolleyes: )

• Members

James Tyler should start making basses again. Other than that, I think anyone with a seven string bass or higher should have to pay a heavy tax to offset all the useless notes they'll be playing. Remember kids, those notes are pretty, but there's no money up there...

• Members

Stingray and Sterling with graphite re-inforced truss rod and strings-thru the body bridge. I suppose they used to be strings-thru, didn't they?

Fender MIA J & P with finished headstock as a standard option. And how about expanding the available standard finishes.

• Members

Stingray and Sterling with graphite re-inforced truss rod and strings-thru the body bridge. I suppose they used to be strings-thru, didn't they?

Fender MIA J & P with finished headstock as a standard option. And how about expanding the available standard finishes.

Fender needs to bring back a good deal of the color/wood/fretboard options the've had over the years. I think it would be cool for someone to be able to order a MIA J or P with some vintage vibe if they so choose. Personally, I want Fender to bring back the White Blonde Ash with maple fretboard that they had on MIA Jazz basses in the mid 90's. Looked and sounded {censored}ing sweet.

• Members

Fender needs to bring back a good deal of the color/wood/fretboard options the've had over the years. I think it would be cool for someone to be able to order a MIA J or P with some vintage vibe if they so choose. Personally, I want Fender to bring back the White Blonde Ash with maple fretboard that they had on MIA Jazz basses in the mid 90's. Looked and sounded {censored}ing sweet.

I agree totally! Even making the olympic white or the other white available would be sweet. Add binding and block inlays as an option on the MIA Jazz...vintage styling to go with the modern upgrades. That would be nice.

I've had my eyes open for a White Blonde Jazz ever since we talked about this before. I haven't actively looked, but when I have looked, not a single one! If I ever see one, I'll let you know.

• Members

I agree totally! Even making the olympic white or the other white available would be sweet. Add binding and block inlays as an option on the MIA Jazz...vintage styling to go with the modern upgrades. That would be nice.

I've had my eyes open for a White Blonde Jazz ever since we talked about this before. I haven't actively looked, but when I have looked, not a single one! If I ever see one, I'll let you know.

I look all the time, and I never see them. I keep an eye on Craigslist hoping that the current owner of the one I had decides he needs to sell it. I wish I hadn't sold it :cry:

• Members

I saw recently in a thread here someone (I don't remember who...) who had converted a 5-string ABG into an 8-stringer... Considering the chronic volume problem of ABG, this seemed like an amazingly logical thing to do...

Interesting! Can anyone link this thread. I can't find it with search.

• Members

There was a documentary on metal, and they were talking about classical influences on the music, and they had mentioned an instrument that I cannot seem to find. I believe that Wagner was the one to impliment it. I believe that it was called the Octibass, and it required two people to play it, one to fret it, standing on a platform a few ft high, and one to bow/pluck it. Don't know if it actually exists, but it sounded pretty sweet.

Edit: Found it... guess it does exist... But not as an electric... who am I kidding that would be rediculous.

183660914_0256e48d22_o.jpg

• Members
There was a documentary on metal, and they were talking about classical influences on the music, and they had mentioned an instrument that I cannot seem to find. I believe that Wagner was the one to impliment it. I believe that it was called the Octibass, and it required two people to play it, one to fret it, standing on a platform a few ft high, and one to bow/pluck it. Don't know if it actually exists, but it sounded pretty sweet.

Edit: Found it... guess it does exist... But not as an electric... who am I kidding that would be rediculous.

183660914_0256e48d22_o.jpg

That's actually a very interesting picture of the otcobass... I believe KnuckleHead had a sound clip of it among other sub-bass instrument...And bholder, thanks for noticing ! :DI think I'll try to mock-up a 12-string 4x3 at some point, instead of the 6x2 i've done here... Just imagine: The fundamental strings tuned one octave below bass and the octave strings being simply doubled-up regular bass tuning, all on that monster 39.5" scale... Can you say Quake?

Archived