So the great Lakland vs Spector debate has been put to rest

Emprov

• Members

Buy both! I have a 55-94 and have always had a weird sort of attraction to Spectors. Because the Lakland was starting to get some battle wounds, a few months back I bought a 55-01 to serve as a backup, it just never spoke to me though. So, I sold the -01 on Monday and bought this! It got here today and man, it's a pretty sweet bass. The upgraded electronics really make this thing come alive, really nice slap tones. So, I now have both. :thu:

Bass%20in%20case.JPG

• Moderators

No. And, in the foreseeable future, I won't. My rule is never to try a bass if I'm not prepared to walk out the door with it. I fear the new electronics.

Having played with the new electronics I wonder why you fear them. They are sweet.

• Members

I was just wondering if that would be an upgrade from the EMG preamp... Poor Emprov...
:D

Since I believe the tone Pump is based on an EMG Design (don't quote me though....) I bet it's a wash. I base this opinion on the fact that Spectors came with EMG Preamps for a long time before switching to Aguilar, then back to EMG, and now the Tone Pump, and the sound has remained basically the same throughout.

Opinion, not fact, but based on some real good ears!

• Members

Awesome!!! Still has some growl, but produces an almost piano- string like quality, where you hear the entire spectrum of sound from the string!

I think that a lot of that has to do with the Rebop's body wood. The Alder is totally light and allows for a ton of resonance. Haven't had a bunch of time to mess with the bass yet but I'm amazed at the warmth that this thing has given the fact that everything on it is active. I expected a much more high-fi sound but it's definitely got nice resonance and growl.

Edit: BTW, Scott, (the previous owner), was awesome to deal with. Haven't spent a lot of time over at TB lately but he was fantastic. Got him the payment on Sunday night and I'm playing it on Wednesday morning. Heck of a nice guy too!

• Members

I think that a lot of that has to do with the Rebop's body wood. The Alder is totally light and allows for a ton of resonance. Haven't had a bunch of time to mess with the bass yet but I'm amazed at the warmth that this thing has given the fact that everything on it is active. I expected a much more high-fi sound but it's definitely got nice resonance and growl.

Edit: BTW, Scott, (the previous owner), was awesome to deal with. Haven't spent a lot of time over at TB lately but he was fantastic. Got him the payment on Sunday night and I'm playing it on Wednesday morning. Heck of a nice guy too!

I know I love the hell out of my Rebop.

One warning: The finish is NOT scratch resistant, and if you slap a lot, it WILL Wear!

As I have said many times on this forum, I like the way my bass looks now, but NO ONE TOLD ME THIS WHEN I GOT IT!!!! I might have gotten Black Cherry or one of the Polyurethane finishes instead!

• Moderators

I'm an idiot today.

There are good reasons for your fears Emprov. After you have some time to save up a couple hundred bucks, send your 55-94 back to Lakland to get the new electronics. You'll have the best sounding 55-94 you can get and you won't drain your wallet buying an entirely new bass.

• Members

I know I love the hell out of my Rebop.

One warning: The finish is NOT scratch resistant, and if you slap a lot, it WILL Wear!

It already has a serious wear mark where my thumb goes so I got a clue pretty quickly. Fortunately I'm not too worried about it on this particular bass and I always have the ability to take the bass apart and refinish the body.

One of these days you need to figure out a way to get a NS-5XL or something like that. Hey, if a guy can trade a red paper clip for a house...

• Members

I'm an idiot today.

There are good reasons for your fears Emprov. After you have some time to save up a couple hundred bucks, send your 55-94 back to Lakland to get the new electronics. You'll have the best sounding 55-94 you can get and you won't drain your wallet buying an entirely new bass.

You gotta stop saying stuff like that. Money's not the issue. I'm a pretty frugal guy and it's all about what I need vs what I want. The internal struggle happens when the wants start to seem like needs.

• Members

nice score

I only have experience with spector's neck through basses, but they are my all purpose bass of choice 9 times out of 10 - mine are 100% emg throughout, no experience with the tonepump pre - although I will say that the aguilar that came stock in one of my spectors was NOT a good match to the 40DC pups and was replaced with the BTS - not to mention, the vol/vol and boost only eq config of the aggie was debilitating when compared to the more functional boost/cut eq and detent pup blend on my older spector

• Moderators

You gotta stop saying stuff like that. Money's not the issue. I'm a pretty frugal guy and it's all about what I need vs what I want. The internal struggle happens when the wants start to seem like needs.

We're in the same boat. If it helps, I love the new Lakland electronics and I have a 55-94 on my wishlist, but there are no immediate purchases planned. It's a want, not a need.

Archived