Head Settings

countrybass

• Members

ok guys, I'm a guitar player that decided to go to the dark side. Well per many of your recommendations, I went and played quite a few bass' and amps. The problem is that I don't even have a ball park idea as to set up the head and unfortunately, neither did the people working in the store. As far as a bass', the Fender J was awesome. With the amps, I played through an Ampeg SVT 5 and the cab with 8 10's. And some GK stuff. I don't remember the exact models of the GK which sounded pretty good, but the Ampeg sounded terrible. Knowing that it shouldn't sound terrible, somethings just not set right and neither I nor the salesman knew how to do it. Back in the day with my Marshall 2210 head and 2 1960 cabs. I just turned everything all the way up, except the mid which was all the way down and it rocked. But I'm finding that bass setup are much different than a guitar. Sad thing about this is one would think the sales guy in the store would have somewhat of a clue.

• Members

A lot of folks here swear by setting everything flat. Start there. Then get in a band situation and tweak it so you can hear yourself without drowning everyone out (this often means just bumping the mids slightly). DON'T scoop all the mids out--You'll never hear yourself over a loud guitar amp.

Also as your technique develops, you can also get a lot of tonal variation out of your jazz bass settings, where you play the string, and the type of attack you use.

Oh, and you came from the dark side.

• Members

A lot of folks here swear by setting everything flat. Start there. Then get in a band situation and tweak it so you can hear yourself without drowning everyone out (this often means just bumping the mids slightly). DON'T scoop all the mids out--You'll never hear yourself over a loud guitar amp.

Also as your technique develops, you can also get a lot of tonal variation out of your jazz bass settings, where you play the string, and the type of attack you use.

Oh, and you came from the dark side.

+1

what he said.

• Members

Ampeg will sound like crap until you EQ it. That's always been my experience though. My first run through GC, I did exactly what you did:

1) Run at the SVT and 8x10. Play, walk away disgusted.

2) Try out some GK amps that sound damn good no matter how you EQ them.

Next time I came in I sat with the SVT-2 Pro for an hour and monkeyed with its EQ and let the tubes warm up and it turned out really nice. Also, which pickup you dial your bass to will make a pretty significant difference obviously. If you're a picker, I couldn't begin to tell you what to do there.

As far as Ampeg goes I've had a lot of luck with slightly scooped mids. I generally EQ like this when playing by myself: Bass | Mid Treble \n

When I jam with people, I run more like: Bass | Mid / Treble | and make adjustments on the bass's preamp (tank the mids a bit for slap, roll the treble off for a kind of thumpy hollow Nirvana sound).

Summary: Ampeg amps don't sound very good flat to me, so don't judge them harshly without spending at least an hour jiggling the EQ. I'm not a huge fan of them anyway, but some people love the sound.

Archived