Need help picking out a new bass, somewhat new to playing bass

RockinGamer

• Members

I need help on picking out a new bass in the 180-250 dollar price range. Currently playing on a Drive Wildfire which I cannot stand. I have only played bass for a few months and am new to bass hardware. However, I do know a lot about Electric Guitar Hardware. I am open to any suggestions but mainly would like to know which would be better of these two. I like to play Classic Rock, Blues, and Metal.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Special-Bass-with-Flame-Maple-Top?sku=516092

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR200FM-4String-Bass-Guitar?sku=515059

Thanks!

• Members

I need help on picking out a new bass in the 180-250 dollar price range. Currently playing on a Drive Wildfire which I cannot stand. I have only played bass for a few months and am new to bass hardware. However, I do know a lot about Electric Guitar Hardware. I am open to any suggestions but mainly would like to know which would be better of these two. I like to play Classic Rock, Blues, and Metal.

Thanks!

Both of those are real nice basses for the cash and i dont think you could go wrong with either. That said i would probably go with the Epiphone, but thats more due to the body styling.

• Members

I'd pick the ESP LTD B-50 over either of those. Lower price then either but better qaulity overall imo. The stock pups unless theyve changed are very very close to dimarzio PJ set too. Excellent neck, very good hardware, solid wood bodies, Overall very good build. The only sub $250 bass I like. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B50-Bass?sku=512723

• Members

Okay well right now I am leaning towards the epi.

sultan-you said you didnt care for either did you have a different one you could suggest?

Darkstorm- I like the price and will look into that bass, however I am not a big fan of ESP, but hey the other guy in my band is getting a Ninja.

• Members

Go to every music shop (instruments, not records) and play everything in your price range and a few outside of your price range with your own amp. then haggle the {censored} out of the salesman and ask every question you possibly can. if you are new to bass then no question is dumb. read everything you can too. Also don't buy the first thing you play. try to play everything possible.

• Members

Well it seems the majority says the epi, and then theres a couple who say squier. I was originally leaning toward the epi. Does anyone know how heavy it is? I have had previous experiences with a Les Paul Electric Guitar and it was really heavy to play for extended periods.

• Members

that would be my Squire choice...but these seem to get a lot of love and do look great:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639

I have yet to play one of the Squire VM series but have also yet to hear a bad report

but I would also suggest the SX basses! My 57-P never let me down stock or modded. This Ash PJ is likely great for the $$

http://www.rondomusic.net/spjash.html

• Members

The Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass is pretty apealing as well. That and the Epi are the same price too, which makes it difficult.I will also look into the SX's. I will play them next time I go to the music store. But in the meantime keep posting your opinions. Thanks!

• Members

Well it seems the majority says the epi, and then theres a couple who say squier. I was originally leaning toward the epi. Does anyone know how heavy it is? I have had previous experiences with a Les Paul Electric Guitar and it was really heavy to play for extended periods.

I personally think the Les Paul is the rock God of guitars.

i do not think that about the bass version. I have played the Epi version and thought it sounded and felt like crap. they are lighter than a LP to answer your question.

T birds dont do much for me either. cool looks and feel but very dead sounding to me.

Actually I had a 66 or 67 gibson eb-0 and didnt like that either.

Rondo is an on line dealer and you will most likely not find one in a store.

for the money the SX is a great bass. it is not quite as good as a MIM fender P or J but very close. the fender is finished better and has better electronics and is of course a fender is the name on the headstock is important to you.

most people buy the SX and change the P/U's and pots and they seem very happy with the result.

mine is bone stock and it plays just fine.

Rondo also has a great return policy. If you dot like it they will take it back minus shipping. no questions asked.

if you long term goal is to be a bass player, get the SX and save towards something you may like better down the road. for a beginner there is nothing better to get than the SX for cost and function

Archived