Tuning peg configurations

Jamacuco

• Members

Talking about 4 strings, is there a noticeable difference, apart from the design side, betwen a 4-in-line, 3+1 or 2+2 configuration?

I do know there is a difference betwen angled or not angled headstock, but I am curious about the origin of different tuning peg configurations.

• Members

Talking about 4 strings, is there a noticeable difference, apart from the design side, betwen a 4-in-line, 3+1 or 2+2 configuration?

I do know there is a difference betwen angled or not angled headstock, but I am curious about the origin of different tuning peg configurations.

Pretty much aesthetics.

Also, sometimes it can be hard to reach certain pegs whilst standing with some configurations.

• Members

two a side is an engineers way to do it...and i feel looks the best..

the fender 4 in a row are all on the same side...and are easier accessed...but ric didnt go for it...no i believe gibson

but i favour 2 a side...as per the uprights...sort of looks well balanced

although all strings are made to suit the fender layout..so it seems

• Members

Thanks a lot for the replies.

I am trying to gather as much info about the basics behind design and construction for the project I have in mind. It won't be a 100% luthier thing since I will be buying the pieces off different shops and just handle them to the luthier for assembly and setup but I am trying to consider all the options.

The 3+1 approach from the Musicmans is appealing to me but I guess the looks in a Fender styled body van be somehow weird...

Anyways: it is always a good thing to know what's behind these configurations.

4-in-line is more prone to devellop dead spots.

Even with a graphite neck? ;) (Damn, they are pricey!)

Archived