Neck question for luthiers and those in the know

PaulyWally

• Members

Got a Peavey Millenium with some issues. Well, I don't know if they are actual issues as much as they are a matter of personal preference.

I want the action lower dammit. It gets especially high around the 8th-10th frets. When I bought it, the neck was tilted back and that caused a lot of fret buzz above 12. I took the neck off, and found it was shimmed in the back of the pocket. I re-shimmed it in the front of the pocket... and that helped a lot.

I haven't yet had the frets looked at... and I don't know what to look for in that area either.

In theory, shimming it some more in the front of the neck pocket should fix it... but I don't know how much shim is "too much". Planing the neck heel to the proper angle should help too.

Suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks!

• Members

Shimming only has one use. It brings back the neck in the setting range of the bridge.

Since your problem wasn't there, I don't know exactly what you're trying to achieve.

+1

It will only change string height in relation to the bridge, every other issue (buzz, twisting, relief, bad frets etc.) will still be there regardless.

• Members

Shimming only has one use. It brings back the neck in the setting range of the bridge.

Since your problem wasn't there, I don't know exactly what you're trying to achieve.

I understand that... and I'm not claiming to know a lot about this stuff. All I can tell you is this:

When I bought it, the upper frets buzzed very badly.

At a glance, it was clear that the neck was tilted backwards far too much.

I decided to inspect the neck pocket and found a shim in the back of the pocket.

Regardless of what its "purpose" was, it was causing that backward tilt... so I moved it forward.

This solved 90% of the problems with the bass.

Now, I would just like a little professional advice on where to go/what to look for next so that I can make the action on this bass the way I want it. I'm guessing there is either going to be a little neck angle tweaking... or fret levelling involved. Either way, lowering the saddles brings back that upper fret buzz... but the neck is not in any "noticable" bad shape.

Are you saying maybe more shims to bring the neck up, and angle it correctly??

• Members

So, you must put back the shim where she was, then adjust with the trussrod to give a correct "bow" to the neck (when you press simultaneously the first and the 12th fret, you must have the thickness of a credit card at 6th fret between string and fret; it's my set up...) . When it's done, check strings high: if it's still too hight, then low the bridges parts (don't know how to say "pontets"). If your bridge is at mini, and you strings are still too high, then add thickness to the shim and re-start the set up process ..

• Members

So, you must put back the shim where she was, then adjust with the trussrod to give a correct "bow" to the neck

That's not the problem... and I'm probably not doing a very good job of explaining it.

In the attached picture (which is VERY exaggerated), this shows how the bass came in new.

That extreme amount of relief was needed to raise the strings over the upper frets. Obviously, if I would fret anywhere near 10 or 12, there was tremendous fret buzz in the upper frets.

When I inspected it (prior to doing any setup to it) it was quite obvious that the neck was titled backwards. The neck appeared fine, just tilted to far back. I took the neck off to inspect the pocket/heel fit. That's when I found the shim. I moved it to the front of the pocket (toward the head of the bass).

This solved 90% of the issues, as it brought the neck almost level with the body of the bass.

My issue now is... I have done all this "by eye" and the action is still a little high (around the 8th fret and up) for my taste. If I lower the saddles, I get that upper fret buzz again.

Archived