FLIGHT CASES!!! Have you seen this? I dunno.......

slapthefunkyfour

• Members

ebay

To the mods: It's not my store so dont ban me.

Has any of you ever done business with these guys?

It almost seems too good to be true. They have cases for every piece of gear you could think of. I think they just get the dimensions and then make the case for you.

Most of the amp/head cases are only $39. I think I'm gonna get a couple.

What do ya'll think?

• Members

Yeah...definitely pass on it. My guitarist bought a bunch of low-end cases like that for his cabs and head. The latches suck, he didn't get any casters and regretted it...plus, with how flimsey the material is, I'd be leary of their casters, too. Plus the handles suck. Unfortunately, you really get what you pay for when it comes to protecting your gear.

• Members

Get the lower-end shock racks (w/ the bracketed corners, not the full on foam linage, unless you want that) from either SKB or Gator.

Hell I throw around my ATA SKB like there's no tomorrow and it's all good inside still! :thu:

Best cost/benefit unless you need some serious protection (like when sleeping w/ boalg's mom), and then hit up Anvil or Discount Distributors, as they sell those things at a great price.

• Members

I've bought cases from Angstrom Cases and XCase Wholesale, both of which have ebay stores. I paid something like $230 for a case for my Orange AD200B head from Angstrom and paid around $300 for a case for my Vox AC30 from XCase...both are rock solid and I wouldn't hesitiate to buy from them again. And like everyone else has said- you get what you pay for. Those cheap cases are a complete waste of money.

• CMS Author

Thanks for the advice. I need to get some cases for my exensive gear, do you know of anywhere to look for a deal?

Mark Hellinger is a regular over in the Live Sound forum. His company, www.audiopile.net has a good line of really nice road cases for what are simply great prices. He and his wife Liz are great to deal with too. Definitely a consideration.

Oh, and they're a great source for cables.

• Members

I've bought a couple of cases from IslandCases/HybridCases/NyCases (all the same company - Hybrid Cases out of NY) and they were light but fine for what I wanted. One was a case for my Yamaha 01v and the other was for my Mackie 808S. I have had them for a few years and they are still going strong cheap latches and all. They work well for what I use them for which is basically just for protection from house to gig/rehearsal. I just bought (yesterday) a case for my Mesa Rectoverb combo with the ATA upgrade and casters so I will let you know how that goes. At any rate I wouldn't use these kind of cases if I was on tour and had to my stuff on and off of trucks but I have a Kriz-Kraft for that. The Kriz-Kraft is the deal! 1/2" plywood, super heavy-duty edge beading and casters with brakes, the real deal, it could survive a nuke blast. The thing is I need 3 people to load and unload the thing. I wanted something light but with recessed latches and handles and casters. This looks like it fits the bill.

• Members

Heres a question:

I want to take my combo amp with me to Romania and a guitar of course. Whats the best way to get it there? UPS? ATA cases... I dont tour. I just want to take it to a few places here and there. I figure ill stuff some clothes in my amp and rap up the tubes with some boxers (: I just dont want to spend a fortune.

How do you guys deal with flying?

• Members

Heres a question:

I want to take my combo amp with me to Romania and a guitar of course. Whats the best way to get it there? UPS? ATA cases... I dont tour. I just want to take it to a few places here and there. I figure ill stuff some clothes in my amp and rap up the tubes with some boxers (: I just dont want to spend a fortune.

How do you guys deal with flying?

I usually fly Continental and have had no problems carrying on basses and even a Peavey Mark III Bass head. The Gate Agents always want to tag the stuff for gate checking, but I tell them that the stuff fits in the overhead with no problems. The trick is you need to get on the plane before the overhead fills up or they WILL check it.

I haven't tried this with other airlines yet. I can tell you don't try it with Air France, not even in First Class. Those bastards didn't want me to carry on a 24" Travel Pro bag that is ATA certified for carry on and is used by flight crews worldwide. I had to escalate up two levels of management before they agreed to let me carry the bag on. Then they said it was overweight! So I put my sneakers in my computer bag to get past check in. I put them back in the Travel Pro after getting to the boarding area.

So get this! After this run around from Air France, the bag that I did check didn't arrive in Oslo until the next day! Had I checked the other bag, I would have had no business clothes for work the next day.

Archived