Looking for a new cab thinking SWR Henry 8X8

FebruaryStars

• Members

Ok I'm currently playing through 2 SWR SM-500's into a Mesa Powerhouse 1000 (4x10 & 1x15). My band tunes to C# among other tunings but I'm tuned to C# almost all the time every now and then standard tuning sneaks back in...

I play hard rock think Foo Fighers meets the hardness of Thrice with a bit of newer Silverchair type stuff and some 90ish AlternaRock. Man it's hard to describe my band.

I play finger style pick and slap through the average set. Lots of variation my main basses range from a Fender Jazz Deluxe to a Gibson Grabber and a PJ custom I built.

Rite now the Fender is my main bass with the trim pot pretty much in the middle just a little to the the bridge pickup side, still punchy but a bit of the bridge growl if I push it hard...

I like a clean sound with a little drive if I decide to hit it hard but overall clean. My amps work well but my problem is that at stage volumes the low end tends to get a bit muddy. I'm not looking for sub or anything just a little low end power behind my mid punch.

I was thinking of going with a SWR Henry 8X8 but I'm worried that It'll just create another problem with my sound.

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to try to cover all the usual questions with one post...

• Members

Two words: Hell yeah.

Mine kicks ass. I push it with a Mesa Big Block 750.

I also own a SWR 4x10 and a 1x18 and this thing knocks {censored} off the walls. It sounds "bassier" or "fuller" than any of my other cabs or combinations (except for all of them at once :D).

Pros: Smaller to move than a 8x10. Tilt back wheels. Horn loudness. Sounds amazing.

Con: Only handles 450 watts. Not like I'm going to throw more than that at it, but it just seems low for 8 drivers.

Yo.

• Members

Yeah I actually read a lot of people saying that they've pushed 1000 watts into them with no problem. I just assumed they never turned up past 3... But it probably is a little under rated too.

I run my SM-500's around 7 to 7.5 with the Mesa but it's made to handle that kind of power...

How loud is the beast?

Like I said I push 1000 watts. It cuts through my bands 2 half stacks with ease.

I like to be heard in the front of the crowd not just felt.

Would 1 cab powered by 1 SM-500 be enough to compete with 2 half stacks? I assume it would be pretty comparable to the Mesa's volume when cranked seeing as how the 8's should produce more audible volume at a shorter distance... the whole physics of sound thing and all.

• Members

Yeah I actually read a lot of people saying that they've pushed 1000 watts into them with no problem. I just assumed they never turned up past 3... But it probably is a little under rated too.

I run my SM-500's around 7 to 7.5 with the Mesa but it's made to handle that kind of power...

How loud is the beast?

Like I said I push 1000 watts. It cuts through my bands 2 half stacks with ease.

I like to be heard in the front of the crowd not just felt.

Would 1 cab powered by 1 SM-500 be enough to compete with 2 half stacks? I assume it would be pretty comparable to the Mesa's volume when cranked seeing as how the 8's should produce more audible volume at a shorter distance... the whole physics of sound thing and all.

I'd think you'd be fine. The cab sounds sweet and punchs out the lows, two things that surprised me when I heard this thing.

Yo.

• Members

MikeFitzwell has one and I know that he really likes it. He pushes it with a GBE600.

Yessir! I've gigged it with the whopping 100 tube watts of my '73 Ampeg V-4, my Genz GBE-600, and my old 1400w pre/power setup. She's never flinched. Like Apendecto said it really punches out the lows. I've never had it get muddy on me. Easy to transport with the casters and well placed handles. Light enough to whip it up into my truck or take it up and down stairs by myself. On stage I really enjoy it's narrow profile compared to a regular 4x10. And it can get friggin' loud...very close to the levels I get out of my Ampeg 8x10. Plus they're damn cheap on the used market. Great cab IMO. I don't see myself getting rid of it at any time in the near future.

• Members

Yessir! I've gigged it with the whopping 100 tube watts of my '73 Ampeg V-4, my Genz GBE-600, and my old 1400w pre/power setup. She's never flinched. Like Apendecto said it really punches out the lows. I've never had it get muddy on me. Easy to transport with the casters and well placed handles. Light enough to whip it up into my truck or take it up and down stairs by myself. On stage I really enjoy it's narrow profile compared to a regular 4x10. And it can get friggin' loud...very close to the levels I get out of my Ampeg 8x10. Plus they're damn cheap on the used market. Great cab IMO. I don't see myself getting rid of it at any time in the near future.

Well said.

Yo.

Archived