Bloggish, but On topic: The Saddleback Church meeting!!!!

Funkee1

• Members

Ok, I know you were all waiting with baited breath, to hear what happened in my meeting with the music director at Saddleback church.................

HE want's me to join the church!!!!:thu::D

Ok, so that's not a suprise. the reader's digest condensed version is that their music program does allow for some paid people, but if there is a church volunteer who can do it, they'd rather have that person (which makes sense), and even the paid people, of which there are many, are usually people who either join the church, or demonstrate some sort of loyalty (again, not unexpected). However, If I start hanging around, and get to know the other bassists and musicians playing there, there's ample opportunities for me.

Now the unexpected part: He did say he would forward my info to other praise leaders and other churches to see if anyone needed a bassist. He will also do the same for the jazz folks.

I got home, turned on my computer, and there is an offer from a bassist who plays at a church in San Clemente, and needs a sub.

:eek: So, in the next few weeks, I look to be beginning the great church tour of SoCal!!:D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My drummer has a church gig and he enjoys the hell out of it.

That's the thing..... I would enjoy that too! I used to love playing at church services, and the finances aside, I miss that in my life. You might even take that s step further, and say I miss Church in my life!

• Members

don't you see? That's how they get you. It starts with a little "why don't you come play bass with us" then before you know it you're praying before meals, and it just runs away with you until one day you wake up to a big cross on your wall and you realize that you've become...a CHRISTIAN.

Seriously though congrats, I hope it all works out for you.

• Members

Gratz...
:thu:

I wouldn't personally attend Saddleback (due to some wobbly theology)...

As for the wobbly theology, it seems as though Mr. Warren is forsaking Truth for unity. While trying to bring people together isn't a bad thing by any means, it comes at the cost of being able to share the Gospel (as Christians are commanded to do...take it up with God, not me). You wouldn't want to upset the coalition by offending someone with the news of Jesus Christ.

...waits for bholder to claim that I'm attacking him.:rolleyes:

nspbass

• Members

Awe come on, Mark is a sexy sexy beast..............
:D

Thank you..... but even I don't wanna see me in yellow and black spandex!

I was thinking suit, wing tips and a pompador (Of course, I'll have to grow some hair for that........)

• Members

Ok, I'll bite. Exactly how is their theology wobbly?

It has to do with the emphasis in Warren's "Purpose Driven" program...It picks and chooses elements from the scripture, that while valid, become of disproportionate importance. In particular, he has a huge emphasis on the individual, whereas "The Church" is by definition a collective entity, and his exegesis is shaky in some areas...The whole "Purpose Driven" idea has also become a brand name, almost as much as a theological program (purpose driven water bottle? How does that work?)...

In my view, he's definitely not the heretic that some people want to brand him, but he does have some issues, and they're enough I wouldn't become a member of that congregation (when I say "I wouldn't attend", I mean on a regular basis. I'm not saying I'd boycott or refuse to attend if someone invited me)...

• Members

It has to do with the emphasis in Warren's "Purpose Driven" program...It picks and chooses elements from the scripture, that while valid, become of disproportionate importance. In particular, he has a huge emphasis on the individual, whereas "The Church" is by definition a collective entity, and his exegesis is shaky in some areas...

+1

But I can find fault with anyone. It's more admirable to find the good in anyone. Let's do that instead.

• Members

Mark, I've found an ever-increasing amount of fun and satisfaction in playing for church. It's gotten to the point where I just can't wait to play again. It sucks that I'll be moving soon. Maybe the bottom feeders in Hampton Roads can point me in the right direction. We'll see. There's just not much better than making music for the One who gave me the ability to do so.

nspbass

• Members

Mark, I've found an ever-increasing amount of fun and satisfaction in playing for church.... There's just not much better than making music for the One who gave me the ability to do so.

+1

The downside is that they get in the rut of taking for granted the skill of the players, and it tends to wind up being play on-the-fly because of it. But that can be challenging in itself.

The upside is that you may find more in the experience spiritually than you ever imagined.

• Members

It has to do with the emphasis in Warren's "Purpose Driven" program...It picks and chooses elements from the scripture, that while valid, become of disproportionate importance. In particular, he has a huge emphasis on the individual, whereas "The Church" is by definition a collective entity, and his exegesis is shaky in some areas...

Huge, huge disclaimer: I didn't care for the book, it kinda felt like Kindergarten reading to me but, it did hit a lot of people. I made a film detailing people's responses to the book and I was pretty blown away with what I ran across -- people feeling like they need to be more "salt and light", things like that. The thing that seemed to hit hardest though was Warren's first point: It's not about you. So, I'm guessing that he hit his target with the book. It'd be interesting to do a follow up film two years later. Hmmmm... Regarding the exegesis, where do you feel that he was off?

Archived