If bands are like dating...

Ender_rpm

• Members

Is shopping around ok? Background: Found a decent guitar/keys/vox guy through myspace. We want to do similar music (90s-now, mostly alt rock) and keep it casual (1-2 gigs/mo). Rehearsed about 1/2 dozen times, and he's ok, but not amazing. We've auditioned a couple drummers, but they are hard to find, as we all know. There is a ton of bands looking for bass players, as usual, and I'm thinking maybe it would be easier to join a gigging band and change the set list later than try and get one going from the ground up. But the guitard is a cool guy, we can be friends in addition to playing music. Geez I sound gay....

So the dilemma: Do I start scheduling other auditions, but keep options open with the current project if we can find a drummer? Mind you, I only have time for one or the other if we start rehearsing/ gigging. Gaahhh...

• Members

Is shopping around ok? Background: Found a decent guitar/keys/vox guy through myspace. We want to do similar music (90s-now, mostly alt rock) and keep it casual (1-2 gigs/mo). Rehearsed about 1/2 dozen times, and he's ok, but not amazing. We've auditioned a couple drummers, but they are hard to find, as we all know. There is a ton of bands looking for bass players, as usual, and I'm thinking maybe it would be easier to join a gigging band and change the set list later than try and get one going from the ground up. But the guitard is a cool guy, we can be friends in addition to playing music. Geez I sound gay....

So the dilemma: Do I start scheduling other auditions, but keep options open with the current project if we can find a drummer? Mind you, I only have time for one or the other if we start rehearsing/ gigging. Gaahhh...

You haven't found a drummer yet, so you aren't really in a band yet. Fish away until you get one all the way in the boat.

• Members

it doesn't hurt to check out other bands. I'll tell you first hand that it is a royal pain in the ass to try to start a band. Even if nothing else comes from it then maybe you could get some connections if you decide to go with starting your own band.

• Members

:mad:
Shhh! I don't want to hear what I already suspected! I'm about to start trying. Of course, we just need drums and either lead guitar or keys, so we're over half way there.

ha ha that's what you think:D

finding people who are interested in doing the same kind of music as you is the first hurdle out of about 100. Getting people to show up to practice, stay in the band, be a drunk or drug addicts is a few of the others that you have to contend with. Not to mention that the majority of musicians are just straight up assholes.

Make sure when you look for people remember that reliability is the most important thing. It doesn't matter how good they are if they don't show up.

I'm not trying to discourage you but I'll be blunt when I say that it's far from easy. It's like being in a big gay relationship with 3-4 other guys.

• Members

ha ha that's what you think:D

finding people who are interested in doing the same kind of music as you is the first hurdle out of about 100. Getting people to show up to practice, stay in the band, be a drunk or drug addicts is a few of the others that you have to contend with. Not to mention that the majority of musicians are just straight up assholes.

Make sure when you look for people remember that reliability is the most important thing. It doesn't matter how good they are if they don't show up.

I'm not trying to discourage you but I'll be blunt when I say that it's far from easy. It's like being in a big gay relationship with 3-4 other guys.

My top priority is nice guys who have their {censored} together.

I'll play whatever in a band of nice guys who have their {censored} together.

The funny thing is, when I do find a group of nice guys they're usually competant musicians, flexible, and easy to work with.

Portland has a very vibrant music community though, I imagine it may be easier to start a band here than most places.

• Members

Until you commit to a band, then you are free to see as many other bands you want. Just be upfront and honest with your existing band and say "you know, this is fun and nice, but I think we should see other musicians". Just don't sneak around and rehearse with other bands behind their back. That's whhere you get in trouble.Most importantly, keep your amp wrapped, cause you don't want to pick up any music you can't get rid of, and you definitely don't want to bring any songs back to your main band!If you are going to practice music, practice safe miusic!I'm glad we had this conversation! :D

• Members

Until you commit to a band, then you are free to see as many other bands you want. Just be upfront and honest with your existing band and say "you know, this is fun and nice, but I think we should see other musicians". Just don't sneak around and rehearse with other bands behind their back. That's whhere you get in trouble.

Most importantly, keep your amp wrapped, cause you don't want to pick up any music you can't get rid of, and you definitely don't want to bring any songs back to your main band!

If you are going to practice music, practice safe miusic!

I'm glad we had this conversation!
:D

• Members

Until you commit to a band, then you are free to see as many other bands you want. Just be upfront and honest with your existing band and say "you know, this is fun and nice, but I think we should see other musicians". Just don't sneak around and rehearse with other bands behind their back. That's whhere you get in trouble.

Most importantly, keep your amp wrapped, cause you don't want to pick up any music you can't get rid of, and you definitely don't want to bring any songs back to your main band!

If you are going to practice music, practice safe miusic!

I'm glad we had this conversation!

Ha!! GGG as Dan Savage puts it?

BeeTL, I've been checking Craigslist, Myspace, Realitysnap, and coffeestain (new one this week). Its a lot of metal an prog bands if its original, and blues and classic rock fer covers. Thats why its wierd to be wanting to do this, but I need o get out playing, and its gonna take FOREVER with this guy. If I can find a good situation, Maybe I can bring him in as rhythm/ keys, that sort of thing. Guess I'll just start responding to stuff that sounds interesting, see where it goes.

• Members

At least if you start a band all the members will be on the same page so to speak. If you go into a working band the members there will have a history together and you'll be the "outsider" hogging in on THEIR band everytime you try to have any input about anything. I think it's easier to form a new band then be added to an exsisting one but that's just my opinion.

• Members

Yeah, but when you 'start' one it doesn't take any time for people to think that no matter their experience that they're your equivalent and have an equally weighted opinion.

So when the issue of other musicians needed comes up the problem arises that things can spin in a way that all of a sudden...the foundation you have established doesn't mean anything to anyone. JMHE

• Members

Yeah, but when you 'start' one it doesn't take any time for people to think that no matter their experience that they're your equivalent and have an equally weighted opinion.

So when the issue of other musicians needed comes up the problem arises that things can spin in a way that all of a sudden...the foundation you have established doesn't mean anything to anyone. JMHE

I think that's where having a "chemistry" with your band mates comes in. If you get along with each other then you can work things out, if you are all looking down different paths then you'll never come together and jell as a band.

Archived