How Often Do You Gig?

Rhythm Junky

• Members

I used to sit in on hand percussion and piano at the local blues/folk jams on Thurs...play bass and sing b/up at the taverns on Fri &/or Sat...then play bass & piano AM &/or PM worship services for my church on Sun. Whew! I did that for most of my 20's.

Nowadays, I'm simply co-hosting the improv jams at the local coffee shop on Weds, and producing my drum-n-bass/ambient stuff.

Sometimes, I miss the intensity of pounding it out at the clubs under a set of par 64 cans, sweating like a hog, bleeding all over the strings. Then I think of all the other stuff...nah! :p

• Members

When I started playing professionaly there were bars that would book you for 5 or 6 days in row - you'd hunker down in a place for a week, then have a day off to dirve to the next town. Nobody does it that way anymore.

I typically play 4 or 5 weekend nights a month at this point.

• Moderators

I can't imagine being a pro and playing every night of the week.
:freak:

I made my living playing six nights a week, back in the late seventies/early eighties. It can be a grind, true, but there's nothing like playing every night to get your chops up.

Now, I'm older, I have a steady job and a wife (kids are away at university). Once a month is often enough, but I've had only two real gigs in the past year, and that's not enough.

• Members

I was playing 4-5 nights a week in 1997-99. Plus working a day job. That got hard.

Now it's probably once a month, maybe twice; depends on the wedding band schedule. The past couple of years, it's been once a week from April until October or November, but this year is looking pretty empty so far.

Archived