<blog on> What a day!

Thunderbroom

• Members

Where to start...

My band was asked to play a benefit at a venue that we love playing at. We agreed and were the first of two bands with us playing from ~1:30p - 3:15p.

So, I hopped into the Intrepid headed towards the place; it's about 45 - 50 minutes east. About 12 miles from the place, my oil light came on. Since I had my car in the shop on Thursday for a tune-up, oil change, and to fix a transmission leak, I thought maybe the plug was not tight thus causing a low oil condition. I pulled over and checked the oil. It was at max (maybe a little higher). I decided to get to the venue and then worry about it. As I drove, I started hearing a light tapping noise. I pulled into the venue and left the car running while I checked about load-in. When I returned to the parking lot, the engine had stopped. So, I called the folks that worked on the car and told them what the deal was. They agreed to send a tow truck to pick up the car after my gig.

The gig went well...really well. While I was a little miffed about my car, I soon put the car troubles in perspective when I reminded myself why I was where I was. The benefit was for a lady (about my age) who has breast cancer the four kids (10, 14, 15 & 23) and is a single mom. This place was packed...easily over 1000. While they seemed not to be too much into country, the owner was.

He's asked us to be the primary band for their US99 (largest country station in the nation) night at the bar. They will have karaoke from 8pm - 10pm and then we'll play from 10pm - 2am. We will play every other month and the interim month will be a guest band. Since US99 is involved, we'll likely get played on their station as well!

I played through the Burdizzos Engineering cabinet along with the GK. It worked flawlessly. With the stage volume, I couldn't hear any unusual noises coming from the cabinet. It's a keeper. The stand/carpet worked great as well to project the sound towards my head instead of my knees. The GK did tend to vibrate down the top of the cabinet. I had to move it a couple times during each set. We also had a strange setup. I'll post a picture once I grab something to eat.

So the tow truck driver came to get the car (and me) at the venue. We chatted on the way back about life stuff...great older guy. He actually took me home and helped unload the gear out of my car before he took it to the shop. I tried to tip him and he refused.

I'm at home with the dog. My wife, daughter, and a couple of her friends will be here in a few hours. I think I'm gonna have a beer.

:)

• Members

Now that I have an Avatar, I will never use heavy gear again.

Compared to this cab, an Avatar IS heavy.

;)

Just heard from my guitarist about the US99 gig. We're confirmed for May and July with March being a possibility.

My car is still effed up.

Oh well...my family is home safe and sound.

:)

• Members

That's too bad. I hope he's doing well. He seemed like a really nice meth addict.
:D

:D

While my wife won't say it (and hell she honestly may not even be thinking it), I'm betting she hopes the car is totalled in such a way that it makes sense to get another vehicle. She's been driving our van (puts ~20k per year on it) and is ready for a change. I'll gladly drive the van and start by removing the seats out of it. The problem is finding a vehicle for her that will suit her many miles of driving. We got the van for her to cart around kids. Now that my kids are older, this seems to be less of an issue in my mind. I'm hoping it doesn't come to this as I've enjoyed not having car payments for about 6 months.

• Members

Nice post--glad things are so good (other than the car). Big happenings for YFC--one of these days I hope I can catch a show.

Put a peice of 1" soft foam under the GK head (big enough so all 4 feet are on it). It should stop it from traveling.

• Members

Nice post--glad things are so good (other than the car). Big happenings for YFC--one of these days I hope I can catch a show.

Put a peice of 1" soft foam under the GK head (big enough so all 4 feet are on it). It should stop it from traveling.

I'll try the foam next time!

Bourbon Street is one happening place. If I were to recommend a venue to catch us at, that would be the place though we are starting to book fests for the Summer too which are typically family-friendly.

Archived