Acoustic Bass Feedback Buster suggestions?

Benjamin

• Members

Hi guys and gals,

This is my acoustic baby:

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/stockDetails.asp?cID=492&sID=1796

I love her to death and she sounds just brilliant in my new band. Problem is, as you can see the sound hole is an odd shape and the bass takes off like a freakin Concorde on stage sometimes.

I have two gigs this weekend and would not like to repeat the performance I had last weekend, which was just a bit tenuous balancing on the knife edge of feedback.

Been searching for official feedback busters and will continue. For the meantime, will simply covering up the sound hole with tape help with the issue? Does anyone have any other ideas that do not involve tape or a Plug as such?

Thanks

• Members

It always changes, never the one consistent setup. The only consistent thing is that she will feedback fairly easily at some frequencies, most notably open strings.

Foldbacks are usually down in front, or practice PA speakers are anywhere in the room. Volume tends to be an issue, just enough to be heard comfortably on stage is about where she will take off.

I will play with my EQ a bit, maybe I am using too much EQ. Maybe it is also a problem where the bass is running too hot a signal to desk and therefore some feedback inducing distortion or gain is happening there?

My guitarist's acoustic doesn't feedback nearly as much, but then the body of the bass is much larger.

• Members

I didnt know sansamp made a para eq? Nice if they did.

Acoustic bass instruments feedback because bass sounds are non-directional.

However... you will improve the situation by...

1. Geting out of the line of fire of your speakers, put them behind the geetar player instead of you.

2. 31 band graphic or parametric eq where you can isolate the main feedback frequencies and drop them out.

3. Noise gate or volume pedal for in between parts so the open strings wont feedback.

4. A decent pre amp. Often the peizo pick ups in the acoustic instruments are not real flash and like to feedback no matter what. Install an active pick up in the chain and see things change.

5. Turn down.. its an acouistic instrument.. if you want to get loud, its why Leo Fender got famous.. go back to solid body bass.

• Members

Interesting. I have an MXR M-80 Bass DI+, but that's probably not the same as an acoustic preamp/DI.

The question is, should I need to go to these lengths? It has a Shadow 5 band EQ and a feedback switch. Sometimes the feedback switch works, others it doesn't so I am guessing it is just a phase switcher.

• Members

hey, yeah.. not bad. A semi para is a good idea but without the 'Q' control it makes it less usable for feedback destruction as you loose frequencies you do want as well.

I have a fully parametric rack unit I used to use and that was quite good at notching out sounds.

I wonder why my POD xt doesnt have a parametric eq in it?

Archived