Nissan X terra

B-Bottom

• Members

I've been looking at used trucks/SUV's latley. My GTI is almost 11 years old and terrible in the snow.

I've always kind of dug X terras so I was wondering if anyone here could give me any first hand knowledge on them and whether or not they would be a good buy. If you have suggestions for another vehicle that is good in the snow has space enough to haul stuff and isn't really expensive I'd love to hear about it.

• Members

FWIW I thought my GTI did great in the snow. I don't ever remember getting stuck in the nine years I had it, and that was with a 2" drop.
:eek:

That being said, I
:love:
everything about my Chevy Trailblazer except the gas mileage. Oh well, you gotta pay to play, right?

Mine is absolutly terrible in the snow. Even after geting new tires it still slides, although not nearly as much. The last thing that I want right now is a car payment, but it's innevitable.

A buddy of mine has a trailblazer and he complains about the gas mileage in it, but he did say it was a good car.

I've been looking at ?Toyota's as well but they seem a bit pricey

• Members

If I am not mistaken, the XTerra won SUV of the year, a few years in a row (not sure about 07).

I looked at them for my wife... but ended up buying her a Pathfinder (needed the 3rd row of seats).

They are very powerful and have a Full-Size truck towing capacity. The only think I dont like is handling (same with Pathfinder). They TOTALLY SUCK. In the rain, the front end has a tendency to wash out/push through corners and it seems like it would be very easy to flip.... compared to a 4runner or Jeep Cherokee.

• Members

seems a little high. Is it an XE or SE? The book value for a 2003 XE, with standard equipment and milage, is $13,900 Retail at Dealership. Carmax has a couple for $11,900.00.

yea it's an XE and it's a Nissan dealership so I knew it would be higher than normal.

I've never checked that carfax out. I think i'll do that now

• Members

yea it's an XE and it's a Nissan dealership so I knew it would be higher than normal.

I've never checked that carfax out. I think i'll do that now

CarMax - http://www.carmax.com/

http://www.carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/factsheet.aspx?id=4128960

Here is an '04 with 5,000 miles on it for under 16k

I don't know if they have one near you.

• Members

Used Subaru wagon, Legacy or Outback. My Outback has AWD (better in the snow than 4WD, in my opinion), room enough for my rig, gig toolbox, and a couple of basses, and a passenger. Almost the same ground clearance as an Explorer, yet drives like a car. They're kinda expensive, even used, but will run forever with nothing more than regular maintenance.

The only thing to beware of is a known head gasket issue from about '99 or so through 2004; only certain years/VIN numbers were covered under the resulting recall. Go through a reputable dealer, and/or have your own mechanic check this out.

• Members

Used Subaru wagon, Legacy or Outback. My Outback has AWD (better in the snow than 4WD, in my opinion), room enough for my rig, gig toolbox, and a couple of basses, and a passenger. Almost the same ground clearance as an Explorer, yet drives like a car. They're kinda expensive, even used, but will run forever with nothing more than regular maintenance.

The
only
thing to beware of is a known head gasket issue from about '99 or so through 2004; only certain years/VIN numbers were covered under the resulting recall. Go through a reputable dealer, and/or have your own mechanic check this out.

+1; or even the Forester. Decent gas mileage too (compared to the 12 MPG that my friend's Xterra)

• Members

I stand by my Isuzu Trooper. Cheap, good gas mileage, and nearly indestructible. I've got 265,000 mi. on my 93. Later, though, they became less "truck" and more "Expedition", which, IMHO, was not a good thing. The old truck-style models were better, if not to the taste of most American car buyers.

• Members

I stand by my Isuzu Trooper. Cheap, good gas mileage, and nearly indestructible. I've got 265,000 mi. on my 93. Later, though, they became less "truck" and more "Expedition", which, IMHO, was not a good thing. The old truck-style models were better, if not to the taste of most American car buyers.

Aren't those things the same thing as the Honda passport?

Archived