Help! (Ric advise needed)

Captain Fathead

• Members

So I've been bitten by the Ric bug, and I found this.

WgSVC1SrESnpe9heSofHUd2LKPvS.jpg

1980 Rickenbacker with Schaller bridge. He says he'll include a new Rick bridge with it. Apparently there's wood filler for the Schaller, so I'd need to do some routing to make it stock. Pricetag is 1150, I've contacted him and he's willing to drop it to 1000. Thoughts?

• Members

Man, don't they usually pull those? I'm just gonna wait until I find a good deal on a Ric... If worse comes to worse, I'll sell a few pedals, maybe a bass, and get a new one.

• Members

I love the color on that first one, but yeah, it's been molested, I wouldn't give him more than maybe $750 for it (that's what I paid for a mint year-old 4003 about 2 years ago).

They've really inflated in price in 2 years... I was torn between a G&L and a Ric then. Ended up going with the G&L... but every Ric I considered (used) was around 7-850. I don't regret passing them up, but the price jump is just :eek:

• Moderators

I love the color on that first one, but yeah, it's been molested, I wouldn't give him more than maybe $750 for it (that's what I paid for a mint year-old 4003 about 2 years ago).

Yeah, the first one looks to be an autumnglo. Colors of the Year generally sell at a premium.

• Members

I'm assuming you have to email them for pricing?

I just called Alto and spoke with Phil Keller. Nice guy.

$1200 + shipping ($15 - $30).

Currently they have none in stock, but will take deposits. They sell the day they get in. If you put a deposit down, you have to pick a color, and it's yours when it arrives.

Then you wait.

If you don't put a deposit down, you have to keep calling. The deposit is about 20%, and it's refundable.

I'm thinking about a 4004L. It will probably be two years before one shows up, so it might be worth the effort to put a little cash down and start a savings account.

• Members

I just called Alto and spoke with Phil Keller. Nice guy.

$1200 + shipping ($15 - $30).

Currently they have none in stock, but will take deposits. They sell the day they get in. If you put a deposit down, you have to pick a color, and it's yours when it arrives.

Then you wait.

If you don't put a deposit down, you have to keep calling. The deposit is about 20%, and it's refundable.

I'm thinking about a 4004L. It will probably be two years before one shows up, so it might be worth the effort to put a little cash down and start a savings account.

Damn... thanks dude! I may be getting a Ric a lot sooner than anticipated!

• Members

the filler was a bad idea..i put a badass on mine and just made a little plastic cover for the rout..

difficult choice but one you may regret...

You've got my hopes up. I've been wanting to put a badass on my ric, but was steered away by the thought of exposing the route and I thought the route was too deep that the existing drilled holes couldn't be used by the badass. Would you have photos of the badass with and without the plastic cover? If not could tell me how you mounted the badass on the ric? Thanks.

• Members
So I've been bitten by the Ric bug, and I found this.

WgSVC1SrESnpe9heSofHUd2LKPvS.jpg

Wood Filler cannot be that hard to remove!

Unless there's something else wrong with that Autumn-Glo, I'd take it.

For $1000.00 plus a Rick Tail-piece/Bridge assembly, I think you're taking bad advice on passing on this one.

That's my opinion.

• Members

They've really inflated in price in 2 years... I was torn between a G&L and a Ric then. Ended up going with the G&L... but every Ric I considered (used) was around 7-850. I don't regret passing them up, but the price jump is just
:eek:

Yo Captain!!

Order a RIC! If you check between a bunch of on-line dealers every week, you might get lucky and have it within a month or two.

I received mine a month and a week after ordering it. I ordered it thru AMS, but actually bought it thru Musicians Friend. Pays to check the competition!

• Members

You've got my hopes up. I've been wanting to put a badass on my ric, but was steered away by the thought of exposing the route and I thought the route was too deep that the existing drilled holes couldn't be used by the badass. Would you have photos of the badass with and without the plastic cover? If not could tell me how you mounted the badass on the ric? Thanks.

you have to mark through and drill new fixing holes...not a problem

as for the little route cover...i cut a piece of scratchplate material just to cover it and no more and made side lugs to wedge down the side of the badass..no screws no glue just a tight fit on the sides

...see my silly sketch...

iirc the ric has a bridge earth..ground..and i vaguely remember wrapping that around one of the fixing screws..

badassricgk8.jpg

worth the conversion but spoils the ric image...more practical though for intonation etc

cheers

geof

• Members

you have to mark through and drill new fixing holes...not a problem

as for the little route cover...i cut a piece of scratchplate material just to cover it and no more and made side lugs to wedge down the side of the badass..no screws no glue just a tight fit on the sides

...see my silly sketch...

iirc the ric has a bridge earth..ground..and i vaguely remember wrapping that around one of the fixing screws..

worth the conversion but spoils the ric image...more practical though for intonation etc

cheers

geof

Thanks Geof, for the taking the time to explain what you did. Very cool idea!

Archived