Just got my amp fixed - wallet suffers severely :(

funkrockfreedomfighter

• Members

Hey all! My SWR SM-900 has been somewhat of a problem child since the beginning. A month after buying it through eBay it went out. Apparently the previous owner monkied around with it. Something about the fan not working. Fast forward to two months ago. The amp has been crackling so I post a thread, apparently I need a new pre-amp tube. A week after posting that thread the amp dies entirely. Two months of dogging the amp repairman to fix it leads me to today. It needed a lot of work, he had to rebuild the power section , replaces varous fried parts caps. Grand total, $262. That's with a discount from him, apparently he spent a lot more time on it than he's charging me for so that's very nice of him. I could probably get a list of exactly what he did, but does that sound about right?

• Members

Yes, unfortunately these frikkin' things are hardly ever cheap to fix.

I had some non-critical work done to my SWR Basic Black Combo recently and the bill was $214.00

If you now have an SWR SM900 that works and has some sort of warranty from this guy (clean bill of health), I'd say it was uber worth it....

Didn't you get a screaming deal on that amp?

Archived