What's a fair price for a pro defret?

whsutton

• Members

I want to get my prototype Dean Bromberg defretted- I think fretless w/ piezos will sound pretty slick. I'm NOT going to try this myself, no matter how "simple" anyone says it is. So far I've got quotes that are all in the range of 250-300. Is this about where I should expect it to be?

• Members

I'm asking because I just don't know. Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to switch necks to a fretless neck?
:confused:

IF they are available. But not all necks are interchangeable.

I picked up my second Reverend fiver with the idea of making it fretless. Rev's weren't offered fretless. So there are no company necks available. And it's not like a Fender, where there are 6 different companies selling licensed fretless necks on the 'Bay. It's neck doesn't match any other bass I have. Even the Warmoth Gecko neck isn't close enought to be used to convert it. So, either I do a refret, or a reboard. And either I decide to do it myself, or take it some place and pay for it to be done for me.

• Members

That sounds fair. I ended up paying $100 to have my Warwick Streamer defretted and filled with mahogany slats, only because my buddy had never done it before; he also works at Wechter Guitars, so Abe was helping out on it too. From selling it, I can tell you that having a pro do it will help the value more. The fine folks at Bass Northwest (where I sent it) mentioned that it was a really good job, but it still devalues the instrument somewhat; not nearly as much as if you did it yourself.

Archived