Help me pick a bass amp!

yourguitarhero

• Members

Or how about going with a head/cab setup. Obviously this is going to be more portable and easier to upgrade or whatever, but I think will cost more to buy. Or will it work out around the same?

This gets my vote!

As far as cost goes, I think if keep your eye out for used gear, you can get possibly get a head/cab for your price though I certainly don't know what gear sells for on your side of the pond.

• Members

I had the Ashdown MAG 1X15" and it was AWESOME...LOTS of punch...I did eventaully sell it and get the MAG300 head and a 4x10 Cab which I found did sound better, but I like nice tight bass. Either way you'll get awesome tones and LOTS of volume...LOTS

• Members

Well, I WANT an ABM, or really an Ampeg SVT , but I'm not willing to spend the money on something that expensive when it's not even for me.

The MAG series seem to me to be a very good price/sound compromise.

We what have now is really letting us down, and I want something usable in the next couple of weeks, and have the cash for a MAG. I don't wanna spend the next 2 months waiting to save up for an ABM - we got gigs to play.

• Members

Well, I WANT an ABM, or really an Ampeg SVT , but I'm not willing to spend the money on something that expensive when it's not even for me.

The MAG series seem to me to be a very good price/sound compromise.

We what have now is really letting us down, and I want something usable in the next couple of weeks, and have the cash for a MAG. I don't wanna spend the next 2 months waiting to save up for an ABM - we got gigs to play.

Well, that being the case, I'd rent. We've got a Yorkville dealership that'll do rent to own. Their upgrade policy is extraordinary...especially fo' us po' musicians. :cool:

• Members

I priced up and am going to go for a MAG300 head (or one of those Gallien-Kruegeers - not sure how available in UK though) and the MAG 210T cab.

2 reasons for this - a lot of gigs we play are shared backline, so if there is a bass cab at gig we can just take head. We have a Honda CRX and a Lotus Elise. We can get the gear we need in fine, but if we need to take more then it means borrowing a bigger car or a van off someone. So maybe buying a 1x15" combo isn't best idea!

Also we have a 1x15" cab. It looks horrific, but sounds good. We can use it in conjuction with the head and 2x10" in our practice space.

Renting is not really an option - places just don't do that around here. And if they did, the cash I would be spending on renting is the cash I would be using to save for something better.

To be honest, I don't think of the MAGs as half-assed, and I amn't willing to wait for longer to get something, or have any more of my cash tied up in a bass amp.

• Members

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/prodlist.php?category=Bass+Amplifiers

Cheapest place in the UK.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/categories~name~Bass-Guitar-Amps~ID~30.asp

Cheapest place for Ashdown stuff.

You might want to reconsider the Mag210. Not very good. Read the reviews.

You'd be better off with the Peavey 210TVX. Its on the first site I posted.

• Members

OK - thanks for that ^ Will keep that in mind.

The GK stuff will be too expensive - just been checking the completed auctions on eBay.

Is GK stuff more for clean playing? We use a bit of sort in the bass sound - quite a heavy rock band.

But I dunno - I'm approaching from a guitarist's perspective where OD and distortion are part and parcel.

Archived