1000watts needed?

col200

• Members

During a discussion with our drummer (I know, I know...I shouldn't heed a drummers advice on amps...haha) I was telling him about the MarkBass LMII head I was thinking about getting and how great it sounded. When I told him it was ~6lbs, he responded with "WAY TOO LIGHT. don't trust it" and when I told him it was 500watts, he responded "you shouldn't consider anything under 1000watts". Of course, I'm not stupid and I know both of those are rediculously uninformed comments by a drummer (to boot) but that got me thinking about powering my two SVT cabs. Is 1000watts actually gonna sound much better (or louder) than a 500 watt amp? I can't afford a 1000watt amp that would match the tonal qualities of the Markbass so it's kinda out of the question. I thought I'd ask, How many of you run 1000watts or more?

• Members

ah, see someone says SVT cabs I assume 810?!:freak:

Anyway, even going through 210/115 set up with a 500w markbass will be more than enough.

My bet is that you could play a gig with that set up and NEVER put the markbass past half way on the volume.

I play a Peavey head in to a Peavey 410. My head pushes 350w into it and I play in a rock band and most of the time, have no PA support and I have never taken the volume past the half way mark and my band likes to 'feel' and hear the bass quite loud in the mix.

If the drummer thinks you need to be louder, give him a monitor.

• Members

During a discussion with our drummer (I know, I know...I shouldn't heed a drummers advice on amps...haha) I was telling him about the MarkBass LMII head I was thinking about getting and how great it sounded. When I told him it was ~6lbs, he responded with "WAY TOO LIGHT. don't trust it" and when I told him it was 500watts, he responded "you shouldn't consider anything under 1000watts". Of course, I'm not stupid and I know both of those are rediculously uninformed comments by a drummer (to boot) but that got me thinking about powering my two SVT cabs. Is 1000watts actually gonna sound much better (or louder) than a 500 watt amp? I can't afford a 1000watt amp that would match the tonal qualities of the Markbass so it's kinda out of the question. I thought I'd ask, How many of you run 1000watts or more?

Most bands use a PA.

If you are using a PA all you need on stage is to be able to hear yourself.

Set your amp on a stand or chair to get the sound up off the floor.

Pt

• Members

500 watts is plenty. I got by for years with a gk 400, I think it may be 200 watts. I ran it hard but never ran out. I split time now with a trace v-6, a svt4-pro and a gk800. That said I am looking into zero watts. I am either going to get a pre-amp or just use the balanced out of my wireless. (I have tried it and it aint too bad.)

• Members

I cant think Ive ever really needed 1000w for bass geetar, but 1000w is noce for upright because of the massive lower end transient harmonics that 200w doesnt really throw round the room.

Having said that, i have been using PA support for years now.

Archived