tips for not drinking...

GMOGreg

• Members

So, I've been depressed and drinking too much.

I decided that I'm going to stop drinking.

Anyone have any tips? I think I'm going to stock up on soda and drink that when I want a beer but maybe someone else here has a better suggestion (or something to go along with this).

• Members

If it's really a problem, then you are thinking right by deciding to quit. Don't hang out with the drinking crowd, and do other things instead to keep your mind off of it. I quit drinking for 15 years because I only knew how to do it to the extreme. Once I learned that moderation was the key and developed more self-control, I began drinking again under that discipline. But even now I have to be careful not to overdo it.

• Members

It may for a time help to avoid places where drinking is the ONLY thing to do!

I quit drinking just before I turned 22, best decision I ever made. (It was that or go pro, and I couldn't afford to go pro!). I will occasionally (once a year or so) have a beer, but I'm definitely over my binge days!

The other thing I used to do was make it a challenge to myself. There was a hot bartender back in the day who knew I was quitting, and would spiff me cokes. She'd put cherries in them. I was never sure if she was trying to tell me something, or what, but I didn't want to hit on her, since that's what EVERY other guy in the place was doing.

GOOD LUCK!!!:thu:

• Members

Anyone have any tips? I think I'm going to stock up on soda and drink that when I want a beer but maybe someone else here has a better suggestion (or something to go along with this).

Rule number 1: Don't drink.

Rule number 2: Don't drink.

Rule number 3: When you're not drinking, see rules 1 and 2.

Rule number 4: If in doubt, go back to rule number 1.

I am, of course, joking, bu t there is no easy way. I would suggest looking into AA, even if you do not see yourself as alcoholic.

One tip I can give you is call someone when you feel like drinking, and talk it out.

Good luck!

• Members

Start off by picking a few days a week where you will drink. Then start gradually cutting down once you are into that routine. Keep going like that. More and more days will come off your list until you only have one day - for example, a Friday. After a while, you will simply forget it's your day to drink. There are different plants/herbs which I know of (no, not that illegal one) - like, health supplements which you could take. But I'm not sure if this is the crowd for that sort of thing? Make sure you get lots of exercise, too.

• Moderators

One of my best friends came to the same conclusion last year. It was suggested that he should try out AA. He thought that was a stupid idea because even after going to a few different meetings he didn't see much of himself in the others attending the meetings. He kept finding groups where the other people in the meetings were older and went through some real horrible stuff, much lower than my friend had ever been. He kept going though until he found the right group of guys to help him out. Now he has a support group to turn to when he needs help. He also has his non-AA friends that are there to support him no matter what. After being in his program for an extended period of time he sees that he started at a perfect time for himself. He was able to change his behavior without ever making the self destructive decisions that some of the first people he saw in AA had made. It isn't easy for him, but he's come to realize that everyone deals with alcohol differently. Some people have a drink or two one night a week hanging out with their friends and that's it. For him, it's is an emotional coping mechanism and he is simply unable to moderate his drinking. It is all or nothing for him, at least at this stage in his life.

My suggestion is to look into AA. Not because I think you are an alcoholic (you may be, you may not be, simply by posting and looking for help, I suspect you might be, but I don't know {censored} about you), but because through the program you are going to be able to figure that out for yourself.

Seeing how happy my friend is at the direction his life is now headed compared to just a year ago (and to an outside observer, even his best friends, there was nothing going wrong in his life before) I think that anyone asking themselves these questions should give AA a shot.

• Members

Check and see if there is a DBT (dialectic behavioral therapy) group in your area. It centers around changing destructive personal habits, and is more tailored than a 12 step recovery group. Works for a lot of people if you're willing to put in the work.

• Members

I think 12 step programs {censored} people up in the head personally, and yes I've been to one and yes I quit doing drugs/alcohol AFTER i stopped going to them. My advice is stay away from the people you know that drink alot. Stay home and chill, dont go to the bar. I dunno. If you're not in the position to have DT's and what not it should be fairly easy.

• Members

The most important thing is exercise - stress can come from many different places. But the wrong decision people make during stressed/depressed periods of time is to stop exercising because they want to "relax" - however!, relaxation can only be effective after exercise. So this is a key point to your recovery. Try to find the source of your problems and then face them head on. Surround yourself with loved ones who can support you. Don't be scared to ask for their help, in the end your own opinion of yourself is the most important. Hopefully by recovering you will get this back.

• Members

+1 to what everyone has said so far.

If you're drinking because you're depressed, you should find something else fun to do. If I recall, you're into film. If you don't already know, Netflix has a ton of awesome movies that regular movie rentals stores would never touch.

If that's not your boat, you could always play bass more....

Good luck man.

• Members

+1 to what everyone has said so far.

If you're drinking because you're depressed, you should find something else fun to do. If I recall, you're into film. If you don't already know, Netflix has a ton of awesome movies that regular movie rentals stores would never touch.

If that's not your boat, you could always play bass more....

Good luck man.

wow, I'm surprised someone remembers that I'm into film... I don't need Netflix where I live, we have a very good video rental store here that has thousands of dvds that you can't find in Blockbuster. They have a section for just about every country! Of course they don't carry too many of the mainstream hits but there's another store for that sort of stuff. The best part is they only charge a little over a dollar per movie (if you rent 3 or more) on most movies.

• Members

Start off by picking a few days a week where you will drink. Then start gradually cutting down once you are into that routine. Keep going like that. More and more days will come off your list until you only have one day - for example, a Friday. After a while, you will simply forget it's your day to drink. There are different plants/herbs which I know of (no, not that illegal one) - like, health supplements which you could take. But I'm not sure if this is the crowd for that sort of thing? Make sure you get lots of exercise, too.

Sorry but this is not a real solution to stop drinking... it's an blue print to start drinking more.If you feel you need to stop you have already taken the first real set in doing so. I would check out a program of some kind and as far as staying away from people who don't drink that's a good idea but you can't hide from everyday life,holidays etc.. because Booze is everywhere... it will always be around and the temptation is something you can't hide from.Better off to get help from people who have been there than doing it yourself and face it head on.Just my .02 cents. Good luck.;)

• Members

wow, I'm surprised someone remembers that I'm into film... I don't need Netflix where I live, we have a very good video rental store here that has thousands of dvds that you can't find in Blockbuster. They have a section for just about every country! Of course they don't carry too many of the mainstream hits but there's another store for that sort of stuff. The best part is they only charge a little over a dollar per movie (if you rent 3 or more) on most movies.

Well I'm gonna remember anyone that knows what I'm talking about when I post something like "Nanook kills the big ones with his teeth!" :D

• Members

I need to watch that film again while thinking of it as a comedy...

I think if you transposed some of that old campy music they played during the slap stick type movies over the part where his family gets out of the kayak, it would work quite nicely.

Archived