Loose screw somewhere inside my amp...worth fixing?

Lip Smackers

• Members

One of the screws for the power cable wrap-aroundy-thing on the back of my amp has come out and is rattling around inside somewhere. Should I bother getting this fixed?

On one hand, it would mean lugging a 100w/15" combo to the store to fix something tiny...but then again, I don't know if it could cause a short and electrocute me. What do you guys think?

• Members

One of the screws for the power cable wrap-aroundy-thing on the back of my amp has come out and is rattling around inside somewhere. Should I bother getting this fixed?

Yes.

It probably will not electrocute you... but there is a high possibility that it will fry your amp. It could land anywhere on the circuit board and cause a short - blowing up any number of components... and would then cost you more to repair.

• Members
Yes.

It probably will not electrocute you... but there is a high possibility that it will fry your amp. It could land anywhere on the circuit board and cause a short - blowing up any number of components... and would then cost you more to repair.

+1000. Get it out of there!!!

• Members

I concur.

A couple of days ago I was told by a technician that the cause of death of a friend's bass amp was almost certainly due to one of the pots being knocked inside the head and shorting out a part fo the circuit board. A repair costing pennies has ended up killing the amp entirely. Ouch!

• Members

Yes.

What he said^^^^

• Members

is there a hole somewhere in the casing...or a removeable plug

if you shake the amp around...its not a combo?

the screw may pop out...

it needs to be removed though..

not a hard job if its a head..and even easier on a combo with a slip in amp head

• Members

Ack! Ok...time for a fixin' then. Thanks!

It's a Fender BXR100 combo, and the amp section looks like it's attached to the underside of the cabinet top with four screws. Should I try the repair myself? The amp itself hasn't been turned on for a few months, so the big caps shouldn't be dangerous...should they?

• Members

Fix it definately

It could quite easily be that you move it around and shake the screw about, which lands on the circuit, where it could easily bridge something dangerous, and then bang, no more amp

Opening up an amp can be dangerous, the capacitors can easily hold 400v+ which is more than enough to kill you should you touch the wrong bit, and they will hold that charge a long time after you switch the amp off. So if you want to do it yourself, just be very careful not to touch the circuit - it may be a simple task, but if you are not happy doing it yourself, take it to a pro, a tiny task, but make a mistake... you should be able to take the chassis out if you don't want to lug the whole thing about (and then it may be really easy to get the screw out safely)

David

Archived