Played a Mockingbird, ran into an old forumite and played a cool combo

Thunderbroom

• Members

After my daughter's play this afternoon, I decided to swing by the Guitar Center (Villa Park) that's nearby. I went in with the idea of playing a Mockingbird and a Markbass. My local GC has neither.

I found the Mockingbird with ease. I plugged it into an SWR Redhead (and an Eden Traveller Combo and a GK 400RB 210 Combo). I really like the Redhead. It was used and cosmetically beat to hell. I liked the sound but would never buy one...too damned heavy I presume.

The Mockingbird is not the most awesome bass on the planet. Of course, I've never really thought that it was. GC had it for $499 (like K7 found in AZ). There's a big "Made In China" sticker on the back of the headstock. Up close the quilting was not impressive at all. From a distance, it looked okay. I'm assuming that's a photoflame but don't know. I still think it looks cool overall though. I like the dual P pups and wonder why more manufacturer's don't sell basses in this configuration. I like the way the neck felt and it sounded like a P. Having the second P there is kinda like having a P/J except there's no J (duh!). It's just a thinner sounding P. I like that the bass is lightweight...it almost seemed too light to me (is that actually possible?).

So...is it still on my list? Yep. At the top. I may sell a bass to finance it in fact.

;)

When I was about to leave, I saw Mr. Pants. Many of you will remember him. He's working at the GC and now lives in Chicago. We talked for about 30 minutes or so. I invited him out to Mike & Denise's on March 10. He told me to let folks know that he can provide you a decent deal on your gear needs.

• Members

From a distance, it looked okay. I'm assuming that's a photoflame but don't know. I still think it looks cool overall though.

That's the same thing I thought about the Schecter I have. I would bet it's a photoflame, but it doesn't say that anywhere. These things are almost too cheap to have a real figured maple top on them, but that doesn't impact the tone or playability at all. Rock that bad chicken!

• Members

T-Broom, I must have just missed you there! I was picking up my Hamer (which 3rd Coast fixed at no charge :cool: ) and stayed around for a little while. I saw Mr. Pants but didn't say anything--not sure he'd remember me, and he looked like he might have been busy.

When I need a deal I'll remind him what he said to you. :D

Archived