Need a 2x10 300w combo.... Ashdown vs. Laney

Bob O'Brian

• Members

I'm in need of a new bass rig since the sudden death of the 150w Carlsbro 1x15 I was using up to now. I've been window shopping for a while and decided upon a 2x10 combo, to be later mated with a 1x15 cab. I could alternatively try a 1x15 combo + 2x10 cab but the combo then becomes very unweildy to cart around.

The choice seems to come down to the Laney RB7 (or R5), or the Ashdown Mag-C-210-T-300. Both can be had for less than

• Members

Thats because not many people here use laney. I have an AOR 100 but it's a tube amp and primarily a guitar head but it rocks for bass also but I'd go with the laney if thats the one you want the make good equiptment but so do ashdown and my next choise peavey. how about berhinger there cabs suck but there amps aren't that bad.

• Members

Yeah they do seem like not so many people use Laney... I was wondering if there was a reason?

I've heard enough about Behringer that I was planning on avoiding them completely... and some people grumble about Hartke, too.

I'm going to give eBay until next week to throw me one more chance at a bargain... missed a Trace Elliot 1x15 combo this morning:mad: after that I might flip a coin or something.... anyway I had to miss a gig this week due to the amp situation and the lost revenue will start to back up if I don't do something soon... :rolleyes:

• Members

i've got a peavey tx 2x10 i don't use if you want it?

(for moneh
:D
)

i'm based in newcastle

Tempting, how do they compare to the TVX cabs? I've heard good things about those. 4 or 8 ohm?

Anyway I need something to power it with, be it a head or a combo... might get back to you.

• Members

Tempting, how do they compare to the TVX cabs? I've heard good things about those. 4 or 8 ohm?

Anyway I need something to power it with, be it a head or a combo... might get back to you.

Well mine sounded bad until I took the horn out of it, but it handled all 350w RMS of my old trace elliot head and sounded good to my ear ;]

I've also got a 15" Ashdown Electric blue 180w combo kicking around if you are interested?

• Members

Well you will have got my PM by the time you have read this about the Glasgow music stores.

Plenty of MAG's in guitar guitar and soundcontrol, and quite a few more head/cabs too. Can't remeber seeing a laney 2X10 though. Merchant City music and guitar guitar are the stores for laneys.

I had the laney/ashdown choice - I went for Ashdown and couldn't be happier! In fact I have the Electric Blue 15" speaker/180W and it kicks ass, but you can try them in Glasgow too!

VU meters are cool :cool::mad::D

• Members

Thanks for the PM, Lewis, very useful info. It sounds like Glasgow is a much better place for music shops than Edinburgh.

Unfortunately I don't think I've got the time to take a trip to Glasgow... the rest of the band are grumbling about not booking any gigs. For just now we are using the Frankenstack, which is the old Carlsbro with a poweramp in place of the original head, and a crappy Kustom as a pre-amp. It works well enough for practises and got us through a couple of gigs in an emergency, with backup available, but I am refusing to book anything until I've sorted this out... I think Frankenstack is going to be a very short-lived bodge.

How loud is the 180w Ashdown? And could you get more juice from it with a second cab? I was only thinking of the 300w option because it seemed to be good value for money, and I don't want to have to upgrade in the near future.

I still prefer the look of the Laney... unless somebody has something bad to say about them I think I'm going to go with it.

• Members

The 180W is really good for me. But then again I am 17 and heading to university for 5 years so I won't be playing as frequently or as big shows as you might. Can handle itself well in small clubs and town halls (capacity around 200 people, high roof) Basically a cheaper version of the MAG. My only gripe is the fact it doesn't have proper carry handles - but for how good it sounds, and at such a low price I can't complain.

I would go for the MAG. Very similar features, but higher power, better looking and I think just that bit more attention put into it. Plus - it has carry handles.

One of the reviews I read when I was looking at amps myself said the EB was powerfull enough to power a 2x10 cab also, but I honestly don't know. The big hall gig I did on Thursday it was at a bit over half volume with 170+ people in the place. People down the front said the levels were perfect, others said they couldn't hear me well. 6 of one and half of dozen the other right?

I would go for the MAG if I had the money.

• Members

Being a very indecisive person I'm now toying with a completely different idea.

Markbass 250 head plus a good 2x10 cab (Avatar?) to create a mini-stack that should be good for 150w as it stands, and 250w if/when I want a second cab (probably a 1x15). It's more expensive than a 2x10 Laney or Ashdown combo but surely it's in a totally different league, too?

I love the idea of a rig that is small and light, yet of high quality at the same time. I guess it'll just cost more.

• Members

Being a very indecisive person I'm now toying with a completely different idea.

Markbass 250 head plus a good 2x10 cab (Avatar?) to create a mini-stack that should be good for 150w as it stands, and 250w if/when I want a second cab (probably a 1x15). It's more expensive than a 2x10 Laney or Ashdown combo but surely it's in a totally different league, too?

I love the idea of a rig that is small and light, yet of high quality at the same time. I guess it'll just cost more.

A lot of MarkBass fans here.

Test them out, and go with the one that sounds best. They're good brands.

• Members

Ahh... I thought you meant that he could get georgestrings amp... Honestly didn't read through that thread very carefully...

But your point was that he should look into a head and cab setup instead right?

Mine isn't for sale. I get happier about my rig each time I turn it on.

• Members

Ahh... I thought you meant that he could get georgestrings amp... Honestly didn't read through that thread very carefully...

But your point was that he should look into a head and cab setup instead right?

Mine isn't for sale. I get happier about my rig each time I turn it on.

Yeah.

I'm typing with one hand, eating breakfast with the pther. :D

• Members

Hmm, the GK Backine 210 looked very tempting as advertised at theomann, but when I checked the specs on the GK website it says that the max output is only 175w, whereas other sources say it is 200w @ 8 ohm and 300w @ 4 ohm. In dealers' websites, and in user reviews, the more powerful figures are given.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here?

EDIT: A flick through the manual for the GK shows that is in indeed 200w into 8 ohm and 300w into 4 ohm. So panic over. And now I have another choice to deliberate over, aaaaargh!!!! :confused::rolleyes::D

Archived